PDA

View Full Version : Best ST emulator?

Chuck(G)
July 22nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
I've got a circuit diagram made with Abacus PCBoard Designer on a 520ST. I don't have an ST any more, but I still have the software.

I've tried Gemulate R8 and R9, but the thing dies after it asks for the master diskette. Clearly, something's not right in the emulator. I think PCB Designer uses some sort of copy protection, but it's supposed to run even with a dupe (just limits component count).

Is there anything better out there?

Zeela
July 23rd, 2009, 02:26 AM
Try out theese two:
http://steem.atari.st/
http://leonard.oxg.free.fr/SainT/saint.html

You will need to google for the TOS ROMs to be able to use them (if you don't already have them)

Chuck(G)
July 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks, Zeela, but I tried both of those already. I have TOS ROM images for the correct vintage system (1.04)--nothing gets past the "insert master disk" point.

I suspect that the application is directly manipulating the WD1770 FDC and this is beyond the control of any emulator.

Micom 2000
July 23rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
This is kind of an off-the-wall idea, especially since I've never used emulators. Steem is generally considered the best and is used by many ST music freaks.

The Abacus program likely used Hi-res graphics, which on the ST required a different mono Hi-res monitor or a hi-res emulator program such as Sebra (? or similar name). A quick perusal of the STeem faq mentions selecting the Hi-res option for such programs, which required a reset. Have you tried that ?

Lawrence

Chuck(G)
July 23rd, 2009, 05:44 PM
I've used this program on a stock 520 with a standard mono monitor, so I don't think that's the issue. I get the correct display up to the point where the master disk is called for, then zip, nothing.

Do all of the emulators require floppies to have a MS-DOS compatible boot sector? Not all of mine do (they're the single-sided 360K 3.5' floppies)--I can use ST2DOS to supply one, but I don't want to write to copy-protected masters if I can avoid it.

I'll try Steem again just to be sure.

Micom 2000
July 24th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Actually the standard ST monitor was color with low and medium resolutions, the SC1224.
THE mono Hi-res model was the SM124. The hi-res programs wouldn't work on the SC1224 without a hi-res emulator and even then wouldn't work well.

While the ST could read MSdos disks the reverse wasn't true. IIRC the MSDos formatted disks had a disk identifier on the first track, and the ST disks could also contain up to 1meg. I'd imagine any ST emulator would take that into account as well as the single-sided structure of some of the older disks.

Lawrence

Chuck(G)
July 24th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I re-installed Steem and made some images on a DOS system using MAKEDISK. I got farther, but the thing refuses to print anything.

The documentation for PCBoard Designer calls out the structures of all the files, so I'm just going to write a C program to print the one I need out.

My time budget is limited on this, or else I'd fool around a bit more.

Thanks for the suggestions.

P.S. FWIW, Gemulator refuses to read any floppy that doesn't have a DOS-compatible boot sector.

Dreamcast270mhz
July 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM
maybe emutos is a better solution? Hatari is also a good emu.

kickback999
November 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I still use winston.
With a 1.04, 1.62 and 2.06 tos images it work perfect on all software I have tried and there is no option of Insert Master Disk, just click the disk icon click open on the disk image you wanna use and away. Of course maximise.
But I very rarely bother with using an emulator.

Chuck(G)
November 16th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks, but I've determined that if I need to retrieve the data from this particular application (PCB Designer), I'll go find an ST.

kickback999
November 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM
If your trying to get data from an atari disk use this (http://ppera.07x.net/atari/floimgd.php).

Chuck(G)
November 17th, 2009, 12:50 PM
If your trying to get data from an atari disk use this (http://ppera.07x.net/atari/floimgd.php).

No, in this case, it involves running the application that demands the "master disk" (copy protectin?) to retrieve the data. Without the app, the data is worthless.