PDA

View Full Version : MultiGaming that requires IPX on PC XT

JT64
July 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Was there any multiplayer games for PC XT that could be played over IPX/TCP, i remeber a fun buggy game that could be played over IPX but i think it required a 286 or 386.

What is the most graphically challenging game that were done to work on XT and actually were playable? (my XT is 10mhz 640+128kb)

I tried to get dune II to work i beleive it should work on a XT, but i only get 549 kb free after DR DOS loaded. So i probably must make a bootdisk what dos takes the smallest place in memory. Could i load something in the upper mermory, extension memory or vid memory.

JT

Raven
July 28th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Dune II probably requires VGA, what sort of video are you running? I've only ever run that on a 486, but that's just because that was what I used as a DOS gaming box at the time.

I'd bet that PC-BOOTER games without the overhead (slight, heh) of DOS will have the most impressive graphics. Sid Meier's Pirates has a PC booter version and I can attest to it's fun levels. :D

As for ordinary programs, the most impressive I've found that runs on my CGA Sr. Partner with 256K is Gremlins by Atari. It's not the most fun game, but it's alright - the animation is amazing for an XT though!

I got Keen Dreams working on my Tandy 1000RL/HD which has a VGA card, 10mhz 8086, and the standard Tandy sound hardware (which wasn't compatible, it seems). Worked smoothly.

It all really depends on what video you're using, as there will be games in each "bracket" of video that require a different level of system otherwise.

JT64
July 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM
My videocard is a Paradise with 512 KB vidram it is a 16 bit card but work great in my XT. It emulate CGA games like leisure suit larry and kings quest very nice.

So unless it isn't an EGA game i think it will play most games. The limit is the memory and the processor.

I will try Pirates.

JT

kiyotewolf
August 3rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Try memmaker.exe ?

That program goes through with a scalpel and cuts until it wedges things in really well.

I only remember good things about it.

But,

MAKE SURE TO HAVE AN EMERGENCY BOOT DISK WITH BEST KNOWN SETTINGS for DOS in case of emergency.

~Lock