PDA

View Full Version : Enable for DOS

patscc
April 17th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Anyone out there remember Enable ? Or even better, have a copy that I could get a copy of ?

patscc

Terry Yager
April 17th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I remember that, I used to use it a little. Inexpensive integrated word processor/database/spreadsheet/comms, right? No longer have a copy tho.

--T

patscc
April 17th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Yup, you got it. Used to be able to have 8 docs open at the same time. Did a lot of writing on it, it came out right arund the time Wordstar decided to come out with Wordstar 2000

and, would Wordstar 2000 be the oldest piece of software to have the 'year' naming convention in the title ???

for some reason, Enable's been on my mind a lot lately, probably I'm sick and tired of the massive footpring Word has, and the fact that every time I sit in front of someone else's computer, I spend 5~10 minutes changing resolution, turning office assistant off, turning toolbars off, moving toolbars, etc...
My disks are corrupted, unfortunately.

I suppose I could fire up Wordperfect, but truth be told, I never much cared for it. Oh, well. The quest for Enable continues. What ever happened to them, anyway ?
patscc

Terry Yager
April 17th, 2005, 07:37 PM
You could try posting a REQ: message in alt.binaries.warez.ibm-pc.old. Someone there can prob'ly hook ya up.

--T

patscc
April 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Good idea, but I actually try to avoid uunet, or whatever it's callled today.
Too many people. Too many cranks( so, of course, I shouldn't be there, especially), too much trash. oo much work to filter it all out.

Tried that years ago, anyway. Someone tried to patch Michelango onto the boot sector of the rawrite image I got. As if...

thanks, though
patscc

DimensionDude
June 5th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Hi patscc,

If you're still looking for Enable, I may be able to help. I have a software suite titled Enable, copyright 1984 by The Software Group. The box is labeled "Evaluation Copy not for Sale" and the disks are stamped "Not for Resale" in red ink.

There are six books in the box, here are the titles:

System Overview
Database Management
Spreadsheet/Graphics
Telecommunications
Word Processing
Getting started/quick reference/customer support plan/diskettes

Three diskettes, all the files will fit on one 1.44MB floppy. I loaded it into an old laptop and it seemed to work fine. For the price of postage you can have the 1.44MB floppy.

Aw, heck. Postage won't be more than a dollar or so, send me your address and I'll mail the disk if this is the software you're looking for.

Kent

MystikShadows
July 7th, 2005, 07:59 AM
DimentionDude,

can you make a copy of it ? and send it to me? lol....I'm a old soft collector too lol

OAfurf
June 1st, 2006, 05:37 PM
There is an Enable forum [more correctly called Enable OA (http://www.ohsaratoga.com/OAchat.html) since version 4.5 was the last and is the current version] and the name changed around 1990 from Enable to Enable OA. Use the above link to get on the thogscave EnableOA forum by scrolling down to the bottom.

http://www.ohsaratoga.com/OA/OAtinyScr.jpg

:oha: EnableOA can send commands to other Windows apps via its .exec_dos command. Its .popup command pops a rolodex picklist. We're having a ton of :thumbsup: fun with the current OA Revival. We can probably get a complimentary copy of Enable OA to you online.

OA tracked the ordnance in the first Gulf War. Your friendly IRS agent used it on his field computer when he audited you. For running a business or tracking planets, let's hear it for EnableOA.

Thank you Enable Software Inc. of happy memory.

P.S. Today I started an Enable OA thread on this board. It's July 4th weekend and OA is an All-American Software candidate, having been produced in Saratoga County, not very far from where Burgoyne surrendered at Saratoga on Oct 17, 1777 -- the turning point in the American War of Independence. Enable OA was used by the military to track the Ordnance in the First Gulf War.

MidMichigan11
June 8th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Should you have the opportunity to still enjoy Enable OA be thankful. The product can perform tasks beyond it's creators imagination at the time. Fo those that would like to join the OA survivors we can be found at http://www.thogscave.org/mailman/listinfo/enableoa

See you there!!:)

Terry Yager
June 8th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Where in MidMichigan are you located?

--T

OAfurf
June 8th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I see Enable OA (http://www.ohsaratoga.com/EnableOA.html) has made it all the way to Michigan and half way up the state... somewhere. Your link is direct to thogs. Mine takes you through the OA Revival screens and ultimately leads you to thog it. Today I found in my archives a neat little game in OA that I wrote for a family with six kids where each kid [or anyone for that matter] could enter his number and see what the program said about him or his siblings and the mom and/or dad. It's about six years old and still works. Maybe I'll send it gratis to new members; they can alter the code and make it do and say other things.

/OAfurf

atari2600a
June 8th, 2006, 12:47 PM
That looked hard to read, was that spam?

Terry Yager
June 8th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Nope, no spam...just a poor choice of font (IMNSHO).

--T

OAfurf
June 16th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Should you have the opportunity to still enjoy Enable OA be thankful. The product can perform tasks beyond it's creators imagination at the time. Fo those that would like to join the OA survivors we can be found at http://www.thogscave.org/mailman/listinfo/enableoa

See you there!!:)

Hey MidMich, thanks for the Thogscave click. Just tried it and found the downloadable archives; so without downloading I clicked on the earliest archive thread [Oct 05] and followed the instructions that led me to a photo of an old EnableOA cabalist Carleton U. sitting looking at his screen wondering if all is right with the world and longing for the glory days of OA. Hey..... Carl? Are you still ticking?

He was talking about leaving the state [of Ohio I would imagine]; just don't leave the planet.... yet. /OAfurf

OAfurf
June 23rd, 2006, 11:53 AM
Good things were said about Enable. Just found this review

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1563/is_n10_v9/ai_11407031

OAfurf
June 30th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Today I sent around a self-executing OA script to determine colors. It's an Enable OA word processing file which converts itself to a database script and shows you the various colors responding to your inputs of digits to specify foreground and background colors. It was also sent to the OA Cabal. Very special people are on that wee list. Color Me OAfurf

P.S. Today I started an Enable OA thread on this board. It's July 4th weekend and OA is an All-American Software candidate, having been produced in Saratoga County, not very far from where Burgoyne surrendered at Saratoga on Oct 17, 1777 -- the turning point in the American War of Independence. Enable OA was used by the military to track the Ordnance in the First Gulf War. See you on the OA Forum. /OAfurf

gastroman
March 23rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Has anyone found anything that comes close to a replacement for Enable?

Terry Yager
March 24th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Has anyone found anything that comes close to a replacement for Enable?

You might consider joining this thread:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=3618&highlight=enable

--T

OAfurf
March 24th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks Terry. Gastroman will be very welcome on the OA board. I got the email notice which said the message was posted on the ENABLE FOR DOS board and thought "wow, we haven't seen any action there in ages. I'll switch him over to EnableOA".

Then I clicked the link to Vintage and found you had beat me to it. Another reason why our EnableOA remnant are so grateful for the Vintage Computer Forum. /OAfurf

Raven
March 26th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I've got unofficial copies of it (and some official copies somewhere on 5.25" I believe)... if you're still looking I can rummage through mah floppy cabinet. :D

OAfurf
March 27th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Are you still using it?

/OAfurf

hutiraj
July 24th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hi all - just joined today. I will apologize in advance for any cross postings. My company used Enable back in the day - have all the program files on big ole floppys. My company is trying to transfer data from enable to access. We have archaeological data that we would like to deposit at tDAR (the digital antiquities record) but need some way to upload the data files. Does anyone know of somewhere i could get a cd with the enable program? Once this is done I will give the floppys to anyone who wants them - if there is such a person! thanks!

wdegroot
July 25th, 2012, 03:11 PM
no enable bUTI have q&a plus 3 or 4 729k floppies
word processor but a flat file database
will convert to other formats
and I have the addition al file to add printers. should be fine on really old computers. no spreadsheet.
BY THE WAY get dxp disk express
it will take a floppy with subdirs and make an image comporesased
even bootable disks
creates a ese file and nothing is needed to re-create the floppy
just run the exe file

wdegroot
July 25th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I have 4.0 there was a 5.0 but only sold in germany. it is strictly dod bases

KevinHunter
October 22nd, 2012, 10:06 PM
I never though i would come across a forum with anyone who had used this program!

I'm really hoping someone may be able to help me with it now.

I have a client who uses Enable on 4 machines. Two are XP and two are Windows 7 64 Bit

I have been able to get Enable to run between them all sharing one database by using DosBox on the win 7 machines and having custom Enable shortcuts, that part was easy. Here are my two issues though.

In the Database, a new order can be created and saved but about 6% of the time the order doesn't appear to be available after saving. The record number count increases by one but if you try to access the order it comes back with no record exists. Try and recreate the order with the same order number and it states that it is a duplicate.

Second issue is printers. It ill not save the default printer setting of LPT1, always reverts to LPT2

The prize for the user who can resolve this is a ZIP file of the entire Enable program.

JPyles
June 18th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Kent,

I have been looking for days now to find someone that still has a copy of the "Enable" suite. I have a number of files I made in the 80's with the word processor portion of this suite that I would really like to find a way to get them open again with all the formatting that is embedded in them. Do you still have a copy of the program?

MidMichigan11
July 19th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Kent,

I have been looking for days now to find someone that still has a copy of the "Enable" suite. I have a number of files I made in the 80's with the word processor portion of this suite that I would really like to find a way to get them open again with all the formatting that is embedded in them. Do you still have a copy of the program?

You can see all the current communications between a small group of users at http://www.thogscave.org/mailman/listinfo/enableoa

Caluser2000
July 19th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I was just recently given a copy of Enable Educational Version 2.0. Came in a binder with command reference card and what looks like seven 360k 51/2" disks.

MidMichigan11
July 19th, 2013, 01:31 PM
I was just recently given a copy of Enable Educational Version 2.0. Came in a binder with command reference card and what looks like seven 360k 51/2" disks.

UGHHH!!!! at Thogs there is a copy of version 4.5 (the latest build) in an extractable file.

Caluser2000
July 19th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Hey that's cool.

It's interesting going though the manual. Like the name of Chapter 2- A FLYING LEAP, basicly an introduction to the various applications. A very well thought out suite of programs. For those interested the Educational Version 2.0, published in 1988, appears to be the complete suite but with no technical support. It relied on a tutor/instructor to provide that if needed. The tutor/instructor could liase directly with John Wiley and Sons support staff.

Found some screen shots http://www.danielsays.com/ss-gallery-dos-enable-20.html

MidMichigan11
July 22nd, 2013, 04:56 AM
I was introduced to Enable while in college backin the mid 80's. It was more than likely that exact version as I do recall it being 2.0. The University version I was given a copy of had limits of something in the area of 200 records in a DBF, some sort of line max in SSF, etc. But was the first of it's kind to integrate a suite of programs that worked so well together. I wish I had gotten more training back in the 90's on how to utilize it's features more!!

Tony Waldron
August 16th, 2013, 09:00 PM
I never though i would come across a forum with anyone who had used this program!

I'm really hoping someone may be able to help me with it now.

I have a client who uses Enable on 4 machines. Two are XP and two are Windows 7 64 Bit

I have been able to get Enable to run between them all sharing one database by using DosBox on the win 7 machines and having custom Enable shortcuts, that part was easy. Here are my two issues though.

In the Database, a new order can be created and saved but about 6% of the time the order doesn't appear to be available after saving. The record number count increases by one but if you try to access the order it comes back with no record exists. Try and recreate the order with the same order number and it states that it is a duplicate.

Second issue is printers. It ill not save the default printer setting of LPT1, always reverts to LPT2

The prize for the user who can resolve this is a ZIP file of the entire Enable program.

Hi Kevin,
By now you may have given up and found something else, but for those that may have the same problem I remember something about the cache not writing to disc properly so try following this link to fix the cache;
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278335-32-windows-delayed-write-failed

PS: If anyone has or knows were or how I can get Enable/OA please let me know with a message here or through FB at - https://www.facebook.com/Tony.Waldron.AU

Thank you :p

Caluser2000
August 16th, 2013, 09:13 PM
There's a link on post # 304 of this thread you should check out http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?3618-Enable-OA/page31&highlight=enable

OK here it is in one click of the mouse http://www.thogscave.org/enable/Enable_O_A.html

Welcome to VCF Tony. Be sure to introduce yourself to forum members http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/forumdisplay.php?36-Introductions

Tony Waldron
August 16th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

towermax
August 17th, 2013, 12:12 PM
and, would Wordstar 2000 be the oldest piece of software to have the 'year' naming convention in the title ???

patscc

Microsoft Office 97?

Caluser2000
August 17th, 2013, 12:30 PM
There was MS Office 95 but I think you'll find it was released about a decade after Wordstar 2000.

lyonadmiral
November 10th, 2015, 09:15 AM
There was some discussion with the person who was running the Enable page on Thogscave, but it never concluded, and it appears the site is now down. Does anyone have the media for Enable that I could get my hands on?

vwestlife
November 10th, 2015, 09:21 AM
There was MS Office 95 but I think you'll find it was released about a decade after Wordstar 2000.

You'll have to go back a few decades before that to find the first computer application with a year in its title -- FORTRAN 66:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran#FORTRAN_66

krebizfan
November 10th, 2015, 10:19 AM
You'll have to go back a few decades before that to find the first computer application with a year in its title -- FORTRAN 66:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran#FORTRAN_66

I remember Fortran compilers being marketed as Fortran IV (despite actually being Fortran 66) until the development of Fortran 77 caused the older implementations to be more clearly identified with the 66 moniker. Other languages that used the year heavily in marketing were Algol-68 and Smalltalk 80.

bartbart
February 4th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Yes, I remember Enable. We used it at the United States Military Academy in the early 80's. If anyone is interested, I have a book, "Using Enable, 2nd Edition," that I would like to give to someone who has a need/use for it.
Bart

Chuck(G)
February 4th, 2016, 09:18 AM
I remember Fortran compilers being marketed as Fortran IV (despite actually being Fortran 66) until the development of Fortran 77 caused the older implementations to be more clearly identified with the 66 moniker. Other languages that used the year heavily in marketing were Algol-68 and Smalltalk 80.

Different times. Back in the day, "standard" implementations were considered the minimum subset; no one said anything about vendor extensions. Usually, there was some statement in the manual about the FORTRAN implementation "conforming" to some standard or another. So, you wound up with stuff like FORTRAN V (Univac) and a lot of incredible mongrels. In a way, this was understandable, as machines had varying internal representations of data and wildly diverging peripherals.

And then there was the matter of what to call things. FORTRAN IV was a good way to differentiate basic versions and nobody owned the name. FORTRAN 66 merely added a few statements that had existed before that turned out to be useful.

Real "Standardization" did happen until the 70s, when COBOL 75 categorically stated that the default COBOL processor could not automatically implement vendor extensions. This was significant.

Fortran 90 was even more restrictive. (this is really the first official dialect that could be written as "Fortran" and not "FORTRAN". There were some real donnybrooks in X3J3 at the time, with vendors threatening to walk out of the committee proceedings. (The goal was to have Fortran 88, but the quibbling really delayed things).

So basically, FORTRAN IV was whatever people said it was, as long as it implemented certain statements. See the back section of Daniel McCracken's book on FORTRAN IV for examples of divergence.

At least we're not punching a "B" in column one to signify a boolean expression...

army1946
April 5th, 2017, 05:10 PM
:onfire:
Anyone out there remember Enable ? Or even better, have a copy that I could get a copy of ?

patscc

Did you ever find a copy of Enable 4.5 or earlier version of the software. I need to obtain a copy or a program that will read an Enable Spreadsheet file. Thanks, Ed edofftobeach@aol.com

pcelias
April 24th, 2017, 08:58 AM
Enable had about 1 million end-users back in the late 1980's / early 1990's (I was one of those!); we had used it at our company as well and even bought a personal copy.

Enable had a huge corporate campus in the State of New York somewhere; the software supposedly was even used during the "Gulf War Conflict"...

But, when Windows became more prevalent, they didn't really seem to want to go that route and even suggested that if we wanted to go with a Windows version, that we get Microsoft Office! That was kind of the end for Enable and they shut down a few years later (mid/late 1990's?).

Great software for its' time though (as was Geoworks Ensemble ...).

For what it's worth, I had 4 different versions/releases of Enable:
v4.0 r19.0
v4.5 r42.3
v4.5 r48.5
v4.5 r59.9

I've put all the install disks (including a text file with the serial number) into folders on a back-up hard drive and can now put the whole thing on a CD-ROM (to use, simply copy the contents of the folders back into 3.5" HD floppies), the CD is available for a nominal fee (including tracked shipping within the USA). Contact me privately if interested.

pcelias
April 24th, 2017, 09:11 AM
It wasn't that inexpensive... I paid about $700 for my copy in the early 1990's!

KC9UDX
April 24th, 2017, 01:58 PM
I'm late to the game, but Algol 58 is the earliest year-named software that I know of. I don't think that was actually the first, but can't recall why I think that.

outlawdawg
April 28th, 2017, 07:54 PM
Yes I would like to get a copy of these programs. It's been a long time since I messed with it not since my days in the Marine Corps. Let me know if this is possible.

Thanks

tab62
October 10th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Hi Folks,

I used to work for Enable Software Inc! I might be able to obtain a full version of 4.5 in the box - maybe still in its original wrap.

Tom

hornbetw
October 11th, 2018, 05:01 PM
the software supposedly was even used during the "Gulf War Conflict"... Enable OA was the standard office software for the Marine Corps in the late '80s and early '90s for the "Green" (ground) side of the Corps, the "Blue" (aviation) side used the Navy standard software i.e. Wordperfect, Lotus 123 & dBase.

Tom

CMarie
October 17th, 2018, 02:42 PM
I have the complete Enable set 4.5 if you are still interested.

BrianS
October 26th, 2018, 05:30 PM
An old thread - but for the sake on completeness, I remember using CDC FORTRAN-63 long ago, I think it was a CDC-6400.

http://hopl.info/showlanguage.prx?exp=6192

Found a reference online that it existed, so not just failing memory. I recall that the DO Loops did not execute at all if the control limits were out of range on entry, FORTRAN-66 DO Loops always executed at least once. Caused some problems on conversions.