PDA

View Full Version : Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge keeps crashing

olePigeon
August 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I have a Mac IIci with System 7.5.5 (I also tried the game under 7.1) with 128MB RAM.

I can't get Wizardry 6 to work. I tried installing from my floppies and a copy from Macintosh Garden, neither will launch.

It immediately crashes with Error Type 1, if I launch it again, it'll crash with Error Type 3, then if I launch it a third time, the whole computer will freeze up.

Anyone run into this problem? Maybe have a fix?

Thanks

GEM/2
August 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I have no suggestions to make it run unfortunately, but check these developer notes (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Mac/OSUtilities/OSUtilities-29.html) out for an explanation of the error code.

Is Wizardry 6 compatible with System 7?

Fallo
August 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I have a Mac IIci with System 7.5.5 (I also tried the game under 7.1) with 128MB RAM.

I can't get Wizardry 6 to work. I tried installing from my floppies and a copy from Macintosh Garden, neither will launch.

It immediately crashes with Error Type 1, if I launch it again, it'll crash with Error Type 3, then if I launch it a third time, the whole computer will freeze up.

Anyone run into this problem? Maybe have a fix?

Thanks

If you have problems getting an old game to run, then go to vogons.zetafleet.com. They have a section for Mac games, but they get upset when people ask for help with downloaded games, so avoid any mention of the copy from Macintosh Garden. Just mention your original copy of Wizardry and you should get help with it.

olePigeon
August 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I have no suggestions to make it run unfortunately, but check these developer notes (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Mac/OSUtilities/OSUtilities-29.html) out for an explanation of the error code.

Is Wizardry 6 compatible with System 7?

I used to play it on my IIvx running 7.5. I no longer have my IIvx. Same disks, just a different computer.

Error code 1 is a BUS error, apparently. I'm going to try turning off 32-bit addressing, see if that does anything.

olePigeon
August 16th, 2009, 02:38 PM
If you have problems getting an old game to run, then go to vogons.zetafleet.com. They have a section for Mac games, but they get upset when people ask for help with downloaded games, so avoid any mention of the copy from Macintosh Garden. Just mention your original copy of Wizardry and you should get help with it.

I'll give that a try, thanks.