PDA

View Full Version : Maniac Mansion

lutiana
August 16th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Does anyone out there have an example config file for Maniac Mansion by Lucas Arts?

My 5160 is doing some odd things with the graphics and I cannot work out how to try it in the different modes (CGA, EGA etc). Currently I have no config file.

Edit: This is what I get when I run it:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FaJ_iyAkv0w/Soj6hp8pC0I/AAAAAAAAAXY/Zn40aEtafdE/s800/IMG_0023.JPG

I have a Vega 7 EGA card in the machine with 256k of RAM on it.

Fallo
August 17th, 2009, 10:55 AM
My 5160 is doing some odd things with the graphics and I cannot work out how to try it in the different modes (CGA, EGA etc). Currently I have no config file.

To start Maniac Mansion up in a specific graphics mode, type MANIAC followed by the first letter of the graphics mode you want, C, E, V, T, H, or B (the last one is CGA hi-res). You can also do it in-game by pressing Shift and the letter of the mode.

BTW, you're not using the version of Maniac Mansion in DOTT, are you? The EGA and Tandy support is broken in that one, and the in-game graphics switches that I mentioned don't work. It doesn't work on 8088s either (not on my 5150, anyway), so I'm guessing you have an NEC V20 or a 286 accelerator in your XT.

Only the original standalone MM will work properly here, although you have the slight inconvenience of having to enter the copy protection codes (not in the DOTT version).

lutiana
August 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
BTW, you're not using the version of Maniac Mansion in DOTT, are you? The EGA and Tandy support is broken in that one, and the in-game graphics switches that I mentioned don't work. It doesn't work on 8088s either (not on my 5150, anyway), so I'm guessing you have an NEC V20 or a 286 accelerator in your XT.

Hmm, this is a very good question, it maybe from DOTT. I am running a V20 in there.

I'll try these options and see if they work, if not then I will need to investigate getting an copy of the non-DOTT Maniac Mansion.

Thanks for the help.

Fallo
August 17th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Hmm, this is a very good question, it maybe from DOTT. I am running a V20 in there.

DOTT itself requires a 286, so they probably just stuck some 286 instructions in MM for performance reasons.

I'll try these options and see if they work, if not then I will need to investigate getting an copy of the non-DOTT Maniac Mansion.

Since you have EGA, the only other option is setting it to CGA. Hercules and Tandy obviously won't work. The main executable in the DOTT version is 63k, while the original is 70k, so that's how you can tell them apart.

lutiana
August 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Hercules and Tandy obviously won't work.

I believe that my Vega 7 can do some Hercules modes, but I'll need to check the manual on that one.

I'll look into the executable size when I get home. If it is the DOTT one can I simply replace the executable?

Fallo
August 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I believe that my Vega 7 can do some Hercules modes, but I'll need to check the manual on that one.

The programmers took a shortcut with the Hercules support in MM and Zak McKracken. It just writes the CGA graphics data to the Hercules memory, which is why the picture appears off-center and doesn't fill the entire screen (in other words, it's doing essentially the same thing that SIMCGA does). They also took shortcuts with the CGA composite support, but since you have EGA, you can't use that anyway.

I'll look into the executable size when I get home. If it is the DOTT one can I simply replace the executable?

Yes, you only need to replace the executable; the LFL files are identical in both versions. I did the same thing after trying DOTT MM on my 5150 and having it lock up. Found an abandonware torrent with the original MM and snagged the executable from it.

There's one other thing I should mention. DOTT MM is hard wired to only save games to drive C:, while the original will save to whatever drive you were logged onto when you started it.

lutiana
May 25th, 2010, 06:57 PM
type MANIAC followed by the first letter of the graphics mode you want, C, E, V, T, H, or B (the last one is CGA hi-res).

Time to resurect this thread, though this time my problem is a little different. I can't seem to get the mouse to work, though it does work in other programs.

Are there any other option for maniac.exe? Google does not help me with this one.

lutiana
May 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Nevermind, Shift-M ingame turns on the mouse, but for some reason monkey.exe m does not. *shrug* its workable.