PDA

View Full Version : Resources..

TandyMan100
August 21st, 2009, 06:56 AM
I'm marooned here in Wichita, KS, with no idea how to start gaining a rep as the guy to give your old computers too. Any help? I've tried craigslist, got a crappy PII, upgraded to a PIII (again, craigslist), now I'm getting a P4 (lol). No luck contacting one of the local computer recyclers, does ANYONE know where I can get stuffs in Wichita? Tips on how to gain the afterforementioned rep?

I'm desperate :shock:

(everyone else) :oha:

Chuck(G)
August 21st, 2009, 04:54 PM
Have you tried Wichita Freecycle? (http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/Kansas/Wichita)

I've had some remarkable finds from the one out here. It's much more of a community affair than CL, because the rules say "no money".

Bobthearch
August 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
Yep, you should definitely put a notice in Freecycle and/or other classified ad. "Computer Hobbiest will pick up...."

Something along those lines, so it reads as if you're providing a service or favor to people.

Know any teachers or school staff? There's possibly a warehouse full of stuff if you know who and how to ask.

Meet up with other people who also work on old computers. Never know what they might have that you need, and vice versa.

Otherwise it's just a matter of time and effort. I make it known that I restore and repair the computers and give them away to people who don't have one, that I'm not merely asking for handouts or free-bees. And now, after several years and dozens of computers refurbished and redistributed, people actively seek me out to see if I can use something or not before they throw it out.

Worst case, I get a piece of junk that doesn't work and I have to throw in the dumpster. Best case, I end up with a truckload of 486 parts, old Apples, and IBM XTs. Most of the time though it's something in between - CD drives, modems, old software...

Yesterday someone gave me a USB CD-RW drive and an HP scanner. I don't 'need' either of these things, but by carrying them home I've saved someone the effort of throwing them out. And they'll have me in mind the next time something else comes along.

TandyMan100
August 22nd, 2009, 05:29 AM
Yep, you should definitely put a notice in Freecycle and/or other classified ad. "Computer Hobbiest will pick up...."

Something along those lines, so it reads as if you're providing a service or favor to people.

Know any teachers or school staff? There's possibly a warehouse full of stuff if you know who and how to ask.

Meet up with other people who also work on old computers. Never know what they might have that you need, and vice versa.

Otherwise it's just a matter of time and effort. I make it known that I restore and repair the computers and give them away to people who don't have one, that I'm not merely asking for handouts or free-bees. And now, after several years and dozens of computers refurbished and redistributed, people actively seek me out to see if I can use something or not before they throw it out.

Worst case, I get a piece of junk that doesn't work and I have to throw in the dumpster. Best case, I end up with a truckload of 486 parts, old Apples, and IBM XTs. Most of the time though it's something in between - CD drives, modems, old software...

Yesterday someone gave me a USB CD-RW drive and an HP scanner. I don't 'need' either of these things, but by carrying them home I've saved someone the effort of throwing them out. And they'll have me in mind the next time something else comes along.
THere isn't jack on freecycle. And there is rarely something on Craigslist. There is ONE other guy in Wichita who collects computers, and I've known him for about six months. I've been persistently putting ads on Criagslist (free computer recycling, I will give your old computers a good home, etc) with no luck. Maybe I should try what you said, and ask danny about where he gets his stuff.

Daniel Walker is the only VC guy around here. He's been collecting for about 15 years, and my grandma actually used to know him as the guy with all the old macintoshes. He likes his macs.