PDA

View Full Version : No video signal

Tiberian Fiend
August 21st, 2009, 07:13 PM
I swapped out the video card (16-bit SVGA) in my 486 for one in a lot of VLB cards I bought, and the video didn't work. So, I swapped the old one back in, and nothing. Tried a second VLB video card. Nothing. It's not the monitor; it tests fine on another computer. I connected a more modern monitor to the 486, and it stays in power save mode as though it's not getting a signal. I don't think the CPU is burned out because I can get a memory error beep, but it doesn't give the short "OK" beep, either. When is the "OK" beep supposed to sound? What could be wrong?

paul
August 21st, 2009, 11:42 PM
Have you tried resetting the BIOS to the defaults?

per
August 21st, 2009, 11:48 PM
Try to check JP64. it should be open.

Tiberian Fiend
August 22nd, 2009, 06:49 AM
If you mean JP62 for CGA select, then it's open.

BIOS reset has no yield.

The more that I think about it, the more it seems like a problem I've been having with my modern computer: with my Radeon X1950 installed, it turns on but doesn't POST. Of course, I corrected the problem by switching to an older video card, but that's not working here.

per
August 22nd, 2009, 07:33 AM
If you mean JP62 for CGA select, then it's open.

BIOS reset has no yield.

The more that I think about it, the more it seems like a problem I've been having with my modern computer: with my Radeon X1950 installed, it turns on but doesn't POST. Of course, I corrected the problem by switching to an older video card, but that's not working here.

Try a compleetely standard 16-bit VGA card, also try to reset the BIOS settings (there is another jumper for that). If that doesn't work, I can't really help too much.

Dr_V
August 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Well if can't reset te BIOS by jumper just remove te battery, wait 10 minutes and than reconnect it. This is a crude but also efficient way to be sure you've reset a BIOS.

Tiberian Fiend
August 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
It has a flash BIOS.