PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Performa 638CD need a ethernet card for it

NathanAllan
August 23rd, 2009, 11:49 PM
It was back there, all alone, not even destined for the auction block and I snagged it for $10! To me this was a very sweet deal. Anyway, it's the complete rig including manuals and everything.

The one thing I want to do is put it on the local ethernet, so I am looking for a card for it. I guess this part opught to be in the Wanted section.

Anyway, here are my plans for it. It has the near useless TV tuner that I can think of one great use for-- doing game reviews! Also I intend on putting the 65XE on that same coax input, that will make one sweet rig. This will be a great time to use one more of the old Nasa boxes I have (19" rack mount workstations) and wrap them all up together. Pics soon!

I'm pretty excited about it, never had one of these things before and didn't have time to mess with it today (was helping take down a 30' radio tower, that was fun) but tomorrow it's ON!!

I made a video on the whole score on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFANJqYreYY

yes, I would like you all to go see the video, but I'm really excited about what this computer can do. Does anyone know about any kind of video capture sopftware for it? I'm googling it.

Nathan

Darshevo
August 24th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Those shuttles are super cool!

I think I have an empty case floating around here that I now know was for a signal generator. Have to see if I can dig it up, looks just like yours I 'think'

Nice haul, congrats

-Lance

GEM/2
August 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM
If you want a little more oomph with your Mac you can throw a 6200 logic board in there. Replacing the cpu with a full 040 is an option too, but that board has only one RAM slot, IIRC. Regardless, it's a pleasant Mac OS 7.6 experience as it is.

Look around the resellers' sites for a Comm Slot I ethernet card; you should find one somewhere in the $10 range.

NathanAllan
August 26th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I did find one for around $9 shipped from the bay, planning on getting that one. Right, only one ram slot in it, but it works well so far.

Running the TV tuner makes the picture a little dark, but that could be the monitor. Also I've only used the RF in, I'll try the av cables tomorrow, as well as the s-video.

I looked up the signal generator and the Bearcat scnner, both go for about five bucks each. No problem, I can spruce them up, maybe add a few littl ethings and move them on.

That "cellphone" radio has been modified, not really clear on how and haven't powered it on yet. I might give that one away to a ham operator to tinker with.

rumbadumba
September 12th, 2009, 08:20 AM
If a 6200 board will fit then I guess a 6400/6500 will, on the basis that the 5200 can be upgraded with a 5400/5500 board and the 6x00 models were more or less the same but without a built-in monitor. The 6400/6500 has a PCI slot too, and they can be upgraded with a G3 processor and run OS9.1. So there's plenty to tinker with.

Regarding the TV cards, my experience [in the UK] was that they were pretty dire. For one thing the 5200 didn't seem to have anything like enough power for video processing. But I got a poor picture on the TV card, even when plugging a games console into it.

NathanAllan
September 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Did using the AV jacks in help?? That's my next thing, but I have to find the remote for the system to switch to those jacks.

I am really liking this little system, though I really do want another keyboard for it, my extended has a bad jack (might solder it or at least check it out) and the one that came with it has no ADB mouse port.

So far I have found several ethernet cards fgor it, so I can stop looking and just get one. Thanks for the reply!

Next project is an external hdd. Scsi is fun.

rumbadumba
September 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Regarding a remote - for the 5x00/6x00 series, a Sony remote works. I've got a Sony cd remote [no idea what model it was for...] and I can use it on the Apple CD player on my 5500. A Sony TV remote is supposed to work on the Apple TV software as I recall, but I could never find one :). Maybe the same is true of the earlier models.

Tupin
September 26th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I figured I would just piggyback off of this thread, I picked up a Performa 6230CD today, it has AV inputs but no coaxial input. It runs System 7.6, has a 1GB HDD, around 700MB of which is taken up by the System Software...

It has AOL version 3.0 on it (Ah, the memories!) and it has a 14.4k modem built in. I'm having trouble connecting, as my house abandoned dial-up long ago. The PDS slot is taken up by the AV input card, so it would need to be Comm I card for Ethernet. Is it possible to make this do wireless at all?

NathanAllan
September 26th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I doubt there is a ready-made solution; you may have to figure out your own way. These Apples don't have serial and ppt as the PC does, so afaik no ready made external would work.

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, I's love to get it on the wireless, too!

Tupin
September 26th, 2009, 11:08 PM
There are Mini-Din 8 to USB adapters, such as this one:

http://www.buy.com/prod/keyspan-usb-twin-serial-adapter-2-x-8-pin-mini-din-rs-422-serial-usb/q/loc/101/203202279.html

Here's a guide on how to get a Performa series computer online, it seems using a cable modem is the best route to go, especially if you can find them on the cheap, your computer is near a coaxial jack, and your internet access is one flat rate for unlimited usage:

http://lowendmac.com/macdan/2k0222.html

Of course, you still need an Ethernet card. I'm probably going to do this. Not wireless, but at least it's not dial-up.

NathanAllan
September 27th, 2009, 11:36 AM
It looks like ethernet is a must, in any case. That USB adapter is for the host to be on the USB side if I don't miss my guess, not for serial control.

Thanks for the links, though, much information, very appreciated!

Tupin
September 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
You're welcome, I think this was a little bit before wireless Internet, but Ethernet and Cable modems are possible.

What seller did you get your Ethernet card from? Our machines use the same Comm slots, so what worked for you should work for me. Can I see a picture of the card also, if possible?

NathanAllan
September 27th, 2009, 09:10 PM
If you're talking to me, I haven't gotten one yet. When I do get one, I promise I'll be bragging about it!

People keep asking me if I want to sell it, and when I say no they go on and on about how useless it is. Well, if it's so useless, why do THEY want it?

It'll get some mainline use as a computer. Online or not, it's one nifty desktop. But definitely ethernet is a must, as soon as I can swing it.

Tupin
September 28th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Found one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sonic-CommSlot-I-10Base-T-Ethernet-NICs-for-Macintosh_W0QQitemZ290319224031QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item43985fccdf&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I already bought one, there's two left.

Tupin
September 29th, 2009, 05:28 PM
More awesome finds related to the cards:
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/hardware/0305461AENETCSTWSTUG.PDF

Apple's manual for the card I posted above.

http://68kmla.net/forums/archive/topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=6341.html

Driver software for the card.

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Networking-Communications/Open_Transport/

More drivers in case it is needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122249

Allows a connection from Ethernet to a wireless network. Not sure about Mac compatibility, though...

Unknown_K
September 29th, 2009, 07:06 PM
That unit should have a video slot in it for video in and out (just needs the board), it has a TV tuner slot (which you have), and LC PDS slot (used for ethernet or a the rare PDS supermac spigot LC capture card).

Watched your video, did you get a whole bag of PC mice with 25 pin serial ends?

NathanAllan
September 29th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Tupin, I'm gonna see about getting that tomorrow for sure!

Unknown_K, no, just the one, the rest were assorted common mice with a few much needed serial ones thrown in. I'm *still* going through all that stuff. One neat thing in there is a Toshiba SCSI caddy CD-ROM missing the caddy. All is in the box except the caddy, complete with manual and controller card. Neat stuff!

I'm really itching to get that Apple online! Oh, and I read the manual \for the tuner (has ALL manuals!!) and it showed me how to change to the composite input, so better picture! For some reason the picture is a bit dark.

Gonna look for that Sony remote, or see what I can dig up on the original. Very busy lately, so not much time for fun stuff.

Great thread!

Tupin
September 30th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I tried the composite input on mine, and it has like a gray tint to it.

NathanAllan
September 30th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I get to test mine out today, now that I know how to do it. Ethernet card is on its way! WOOHOO!! Having this is going to make me want to use it a lot-- I'm still planning on doing all my youtube vids on it, just don't know how yet.

Next up is for more ram, but that'll have to wait. But hopefully I'll post here from that machine and write on eletter on it-- it has a printer, too, somewhere. Er, compatible, at least.

NathanAllan
October 3rd, 2009, 12:51 AM
My ethernet card got here today and now there is another thing-- I don't have a browser installed. I thought, no big deal, I'll go get an old version of Netscape. I *did* find one, but it's in a .bin format and I am at a loss. I thought it was a disk image but it wasn't and I don't know how to install it.

I also found a .dmg format file that is Netscape. I'm working from a windows machine and don't have access to .dmg anything (unless someone can tell me how to use it on a Win machine).

Is there a disk image or something I can use or instructions on how to make this happen somewhere? I looked around but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, there are so many things to read.

As far as the card, it's connecting to the router but I can't do anything with it yet. :(

kishy
October 3rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
My ethernet card got here today and now there is another thing-- I don't have a browser installed. I thought, no big deal, I'll go get an old version of Netscape. I *did* find one, but it's in a .bin format and I am at a loss. I thought it was a disk image but it wasn't and I don't know how to install it.

I also found a .dmg format file that is Netscape. I'm working from a windows machine and don't have access to .dmg anything (unless someone can tell me how to use it on a Win machine).

Is there a disk image or something I can use or instructions on how to make this happen somewhere? I looked around but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, there are so many things to read.

As far as the card, it's connecting to the router but I can't do anything with it yet. :(

Screw Netscape, that thing can't render anything modern properly anymore.
Search for iCab. It's only marginally better but it is indeed better in my experience...I use an older 68k version of it on my LC 580 when I need to get it onto the internet.

At least you're not bombarded with Javascript errors when you visit Google.

For Mac disk images and all that jaz, find Stuffit Expander (there is a current version for Windows; it is not free software but...well I won't go any further with the but)

I don't remember the intricacies of getting software onto a Mac from a Windows system but I remember I did figure it out eventually by tinkering, so you should probably make similar progress as well.

Tupin
October 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah, install Stuffit on the Mac. If it has PC Exchange, it will recognize it right away.

I'll check out that iCab, I have AOL and the now-useless eWorld installed on mine, but I want to try something else out.

How was connecting to a network, NathanAllan? Did you use the driver software or just plug in and go?

Tupin
October 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Oh, and how are you connecting it? Directly to a cable modem, or a router connected wirelessly to a cable modem?

If you could explain how you got your connection, I would appreciate it.

NathanAllan
October 4th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I looked into getting iCab but for that I'll need an OS upgrade, and for *that* I'll need a larger ram chip, and I don't have that type anywhere right now and can't afford anything either.

It's at OS 7.5 with 32MB ram, and according to the About this Mac... window it is using most of it already with very little free. Also has a ~350MB hdd.

How it is connected is through one router to a modem, got lights-on so it is connected but without a browser I can't really do anything with it. I'll need to find some utility or learn more about this OS before I can really work it or see what's going on. Times like this I wish for ifconfig in a terminal window!! One thing I forgot to check is if the router was assinging it an IP address, that would have helped (just busy).

I love older Apples but I guess I have forgotten most of my learnings :( So now I guess I'm looking for ram for it. One thing I did do yesterday was add a heatsink to that processor (can't believe they shipped without one). It was getting hot!

Once I get the right ram for it I'll upgrade the OS and get iCab. Maybe a new hdd and a CD-RW would be great for it. There's an older scsi one here but no caddy for it. Working on it.

Nathan

Tupin
October 5th, 2009, 05:17 AM
350 MB is minuscule for a Performa running 7.5. My 6230CD has a 1.2GB harddrive, and it still has 300MB free, the OS takes up around 700MB.

Unknown_K
October 5th, 2009, 08:42 AM
OS 7.5 came on a dozen or so floppies, no way it takes up 700MB by itself.

wmmullaney
October 5th, 2009, 09:20 AM
You said it had only one slot, right? (for the ram) Will it take more than 32mb?

My newer models like the 6220cd will only take 64, thats 32mb per slot.

Tupin
October 5th, 2009, 01:39 PM
OS 7.5 came on a dozen or so floppies, no way it takes up 700MB by itself.
That's the system folder. My mistake.

NathanAllan
October 6th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I'll have to open it up and take a look at what else can be put into it. This was a cost reduced model, so some of the expansion was never installed. The 7.5 disks are here, so if I need to reinstall I can do it the viontage way or else I can burn a cd from the apple site.

A new hdd is definitely wanted, and I think the second ram slot was not there, too. I'll pull the board tomorrow and take a few good pictures of it, see what I can learn from it.

At least I now have an ethernet card in there. One upgrade accomplished. A little at a time.

/edit Looks like I'm not getting any more ram, according to everymac.com, here are a link to the specs:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_638cd.html

and do mine eyes deceive me, does it really have an IDE drive?? I thought all older Macs had SCSI in there??

Tupin
October 6th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Yep, it's IDE.

Unknown_K
October 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Some of the cheaper performa models went to IDE (I know the 6200, 6400, 6500 series was IDE while the Powermac 6100, 7100, 8100, 7500, 8500, 9500 stuck with SCSI).

NathanAllan
October 6th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Having IDE in there means I have a drive ready for it NOW. How big is the largest it can take, anyone know?? iirc I have a lower gig one around somewhere, maybe 6GB. Excellent news.

Also, I'm going to give a slight upgrade a shot since I'm already at my max ram anyway.

Tupin
October 7th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I don't know if there's a limit, but IDE harddrives can be pretty big. What I would wonder how to do is how to format it for a Mac and how to install the system software on it.

Unknown_K
October 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Any OS install CD has the tools to format a HD (boot from the CD). The issue you have with Performa IDE drives is speed, they are not DMA enabled and probably ATA/16 (slowest) interface. Anything under 8gb should be plenty of space.

NathanAllan
October 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM
No chance to play with it today, but I do have a Seagate ST38421a 8.4GB ready to go in, and both the floppies and a disk image for the new OS. When I get the chance I'll get it installed.

Tupin
October 7th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Can you upload the OS disks? I want to install a new harddrive, but I need the install disks.

NathanAllan
October 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Sure, but I have to get everything imaged/copied first from a Mac-- I have done similar projects before, had bad results from windows. So please give me time and I'll upload the disks for you no problem. Soon, when I get the chance to get it done.

wmmullaney
October 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM
@Tupin:

I also have quite a few OS versions, .8, 6, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9.1 off the top of my head, maybe more

Let me know if you need any

Tupin
October 8th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I finally got my card today, I plugged it in and it recognized it right away!

I don't have an extra cable modem, but I'm getting that soon. I would be happy to have some of those OSes, but I can't seem to be able to burn a Mac-compatible disc on my PC.

NathanAllan
October 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Covered up with actual work, so no time to get to the fun stuff right now.

@Tupin, I made a cd from my win pc, just made it as a data disk and it read fine; gave me the name of the disk an everything. Tip: burn slow. Also, I used Nero 6 as my burner program. The windows burn function has led to crappy results.

Tupin
October 11th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I need to get some more CD-Rs, I tried one and it worked.

Are there any built in screensavers on the Performas, or do I need to download a program for it?

NathanAllan
October 13th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Quick update. I got CD's for this thing and another iMac to format the 8gb harddrive on. Those USB-IDE things are priceless, my "new" iMac picked it up right away and asked me if I wanted to initialize it.

The CD is indeed SCSI so a buner for it is out for now. I had to leave it to format since it was going to take about 4 hours by 8pm, so it will be waiting for me tomorrow. My friend Alex came by and let me image his upgrade CD's, so I'll be able to make disks from the images I made that include the upgrade.

The more I get to know, the more I like it. Never had this much exposure (I was sure missing out) so I'm really learning a lot!

I'll have to get back to you on the screensaver, Tupin, it's in pieces now and didn't think to look when it was all together.

Unknown_K
October 13th, 2009, 10:31 PM
If you like the performa 638 then you should try some high end 68k macs like a Quadra 800/950/840av or some PPC PCI powermacs like the 8500/9500/9600.

NathanAllan
October 13th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I had one once, but was working so much never got a chance to play with it. I forget what it was, but it was a powerpc based machine. I miss it. This one is nice with a TV tuner in it-- it really will be getting double-duty as an entertainment system. Which leads me to this:

Was there ever any kind of AV cable adapter or box to use a larger tv set with the Mac video port? I like it's clear screen, but having it as an entertainment system is too much allure to resist! I still want the remote for this thing. Looking into a Sony replacement.

Tupin
October 14th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Speaking of AV inputs, anyone know why my video output has a gray tint to it?

Getting a modem today, should be browsing the Internet on my Performa soon. :D

NathanAllan
October 14th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Speaking of AV inputs, anyone know why my video output has a gray tint to it?

Getting a modem today, should be browsing the Internet on my Performa soon. :D
You mentioned it has gray in it in an earlier post, and still haven't used the AV connectors to compare.

Aw, if you needed a modem I had this one, since I have ethernet I'm never gonna use it, you could have had it for shipping if I had known to offer it. It's all good -- internet is internet, dial up still works. I ought to be able to post from it in a little bit, once I get the OS reinstalled on the new hdd.

I wish there was room for two hdd's in there, I would run the large one as a slave to the small one, called it a day.

Tupin
October 14th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hm, I can't seem to switch to EtherTalk, it gives me an error. I'm using this modem:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-5241-Cable-Modem-Ethernet/dp/B0008EWSCQ

I connected the cable from the computer to the modem and then the modem to a cable jack. It knows it's linked to something, it's the Performa I'm trying to get to cooperate.

NathanAllan
October 14th, 2009, 04:30 PM
My 638 is not cooperating, or I don't know what happening. Most likely the latter.

I formatted it in an iMac, and it was reading on there as an initialised disk, but the Performa will not initialize it. I guess I'll not be posting from it today :( Or even booting it up for that matter.

Tupin, I'm not even at that point yet, I have to get this thing to run first. Very interested in the results, though.

Tupin
October 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I just need a working copy of Open Transport, then I should be able to get online.

NathanAllan
October 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I just need a working copy of Open Transport, then I should be able to get online.
How about Power Talk? I have the floppy here and can send it to you. Not sure if it'll help at all. I found a lot of downloads for Open Transport, most are at apple's website.

Tupin
October 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Power Talk? I just need something that will allow the Performa to use TCP/IP networks, and Open Transport's not working for me, all the downloads give me errors.

Power Talk doesn't appear to be related to the Internet at all, I'm going to ask over at Apple's forum and see if they can help me with Open Transport.

NathanAllan
October 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I've read that what is needed is the Network Access Disk, and these .bin files give me a major headache. So far they are all in .bin format and I'm not sure how to deal with them. Maybe it's just late and I'm, tired.

Tupin
October 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Use Stuffit Expander. As for me, I'm gonna keep trying with Open Transport.

facattack
October 17th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I was very amused by the video. Especially with all that stuff around, Nathan didn't fall over.

NathanAllan
October 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I have to be careful-- there's nop way to have a shop and not have the people who want to dump stuff on you, and then it gets crowded and it's against the Vintage Code (or whatever) to toss something that might have use in the next 10 years or more.

Not a warzone yet, but maybe a minefield :D

NathanAllan
November 12th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Quick update. The new larger hdd is not working out, it's not formatting with the setup cd. I'll remedy this later when I have my own Apple ibook up to speed but for now it will stay with the original hdd. I'll be putting that back in today, and try to get on the network again.

/edit It's a little later in the day, I tried this 2gb hdd and the system is telling me (running from the install CD) that there is no harddrive installed. Also seem to have misplaced the original hdd, so having lots of fun. Back on the back burner.

Starshadow
November 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Is it an Apple stickered Hard drive? If not, you need a patched version of HD Setup ( I think thats what its called). There's even a utility to patch the file floating around on the net.

NathanAllan
November 12th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Is it an Apple stickered Hard drive? If not, you need a patched version of HD Setup ( I think thats what its called). There's even a utility to patch the file floating around on the net.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look into this when I next look at it. It is not an Apple stickered drive, it came from a PC. Thanks!

Unknown_K
November 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Apple ROM'ed HDs were needed in the SCSI era, not in the IDE era (anything goes there).

Starshadow
November 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I thought he was using a SCSI hd. His machine can use both however. I'm going to run my Performa 6400 on SCSI only because from what I hear the IDE on them didn't have DMA.