View Full Version : Tech Support Cheat Sheet

lutiana
August 23rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
I found this on XKCD (http://xkcd.com/627/) and thought it was pretty funny:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/tech_support_cheat_sheet.png

strollin
August 24th, 2009, 05:52 AM
How true it is!

A friend of my son's works at Best Buy in the "Geek Squad". He talks about how he can't understand why people bring their 'puters into the store and pay large sums of money for him to fix it when, most likely, he will use Google or whatever to research the issue and fix it. If people were willing to do a little research themselves they could save themselves time and money in the long run.

Back when our vintage machines were new, Google didn't exist so we had to resort to reading the manual (RTFM)! If we were lucky, the mfr had a BBS system that we could call and access with our 300 baud modem!

pontus
August 24th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Don't forget the alt-text:

'Hey Megan, it's your father. How do I print out a flowchart?'

lutiana
August 24th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Don't forget the alt-text:

'Hey Megan, it's your father. How do I print out a flowchart?'

Nice! I missed that.

nige the hippy
August 25th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I must send that to my mum, I'd email it, but......:rolleyes:

carlsson
August 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I almost find the opposite worse, a user clicked on random button which caused the display to change. Now they don't know how to get back to the screen they're familiar with. Sometimes it can be hard even for someone of us to fix it, in particular if some panes (think Photoshop) have been closed for good.

Anonymous Freak
August 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM
How true it is!

A friend of my son's works at Best Buy in the "Geek Squad". He talks about how he can't understand why people bring their 'puters into the store and pay large sums of money for him to fix it when, most likely, he will use Google or whatever to research the issue and fix it. If people were willing to do a little research themselves they could save themselves time and money in the long run.!

Very true. But some people would rather contact an expert. I mean, why else do places like Jiffy Lube exist? Changing oil is not hard at all. Yet there is a whole industry around changing a car's oil.

Of course, being in the Jiffy Lube-of-computer-repair business, it's good for me.

I'm off to fix someone's AOL, after AOL tech support couldn't help; and I'm going to be charging him $180. (He must have me out there *NOW*; so he pays double.)

barythrin
August 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I've always disliked home computer repair but it certainly can be a pain to figure out what they did or what all was changed after they've already tried and failed to fix it themselves. Most commonly they click on some spyware, decide to click yes on an ad and have that install then end up installing some more spyware that claims it cleans spyware and I get called when the desktop isn't coming up any longer other than a fake anyvirus saying they need to buy it to clean a few hundred infections and won't let them into explorer.exe.

I guess it'd be more of a deterrent if I'd charge them but usually their friends or neighbors so I just charge them in beer.