PDA

View Full Version : Need Filter for RL02

Vercus
August 27th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hello,
I took the front panel off one of my RL02's to check the filter and was glad I did. The foam filter is shot. In fact, small pieces have fallen off, and are getting sucked into the tubes! Needless to say, this scares me. Fortunately, it hasn't been run with any disks, so there shouldn't be any risk of a head crash.

What do you guys use for filters for these? It looks similar to the open cell foam you see in air conditioner filters.

Also, how would you recommend I clean out the tubes, to make sure there isn't any pieces of foam inside?

Thanks,
Jon

cosam
August 28th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Yeah, those things have a tendency to disintegrate but thankfully they're not all that critical. The foam prefilter just picks out the big chunks - there's another, much finer filter further down the line. When the thing's running, it's essentially a closed system anyway; the clean air is recirculated.

Any kind of open cell foam you can find should make a perfectly adequate replacement but, unless you're in a really dusty environment, running them without prefilters installed should be fine, at least for short periods. I'd clean out what you can with a vacuum cleaner, but you don't need to worry about getting it spotless.

PS. if you have these drives in one of those short racks, check the insides of the side panels. There's a layer of sound-proofing foam in there which is even worse than the filters as it disintegrates into a fine, black, messy dust.

pontus
August 28th, 2009, 01:22 AM
The DEC foam is horrible. The first thing I do with any DEC equipment is to search for and remove the foam. And as stated, if you're not running the stuff in an overly dusty environment you will probably be fine without.

I read that the exact same foam is available even today, but you will run into the same disintegration problem in 15-20 years :) But some like it authentic...

tradde
August 28th, 2009, 02:50 AM
The DEC foam is horrible. The first thing I do with any DEC equipment is to search for and remove the foam. And as stated, if you're not running the stuff in an overly dusty environment you will probably be fine without.

I read that the exact same foam is available even today, but you will run into the same disintegration problem in 15-20 years :) But some like it authentic...

I agree the DEC foam is really horrible. I remove it from anyhing I have. It just crumbles
as you touch it. I have an OEM RP06 that had some around the top seal and little bits are all over inside the tub. I never loaded the heads, but the drive did spin up. I am hoping there are not bits in the disk platter itself, but have never checked as I can't really use the drive anyway. It does not have a Massbus connection, but some OEM developed interface.

pontus
August 28th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I agree the DEC foam is really horrible. I remove it from anyhing I have. It just crumbles
as you touch it. I have an OEM RP06 that had some around the top seal and little bits are all over inside the tub. I never loaded the heads, but the drive did spin up. I am hoping there are not bits in the disk platter itself, but have never checked as I can't really use the drive anyway. It does not have a Massbus connection, but some OEM developed interface.

I'm told the RP06 makes an impressive sound when spinning up, so that in it self makes it cool to have.

Do you have a machine with a massbus controller? It might not be impossible to find massbuss parts for your RP06.

tradde
August 28th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I'm told the RP06 makes an impressive sound when spinning up, so that in it self makes it cool to have.

Do you have a machine with a massbus controller? It might not be impossible to find massbuss parts for your RP06.

The cables are not Massbus, or at least not the DEC Massbus cables. It's possible
the board set is an OEM version of Massbus, but I do not know.

Yes, the disk spinning up sounds quite impressive. It takes up alot of space and is
very very heavy, but I just can't trash it. Someday I hope to find someone willing to
take it and make use of it. I even have 2 packs for it, and the boxes they came in.

Vercus
August 28th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hey Tim,
That's funny, I didn't even notice the RP06 at your place when I was there. Those drives are pretty neat.

Oh wait, was that the one sitting in the kitchen? Or was that something else?
-Jon

Vercus
August 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Cosam,
My rack doesn't have any foam on the side panels, fortunately.
-Jon

tradde
August 29th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Hey Tim,
That's funny, I didn't even notice the RP06 at your place when I was there. Those drives are pretty neat.

Oh wait, was that the one sitting in the kitchen? Or was that something else?
-Jon

The RP06 is in the corner in the dining room just by the doorway from the kitchen.
It's pretty big. Weighs about 400 lb.

Vercus
August 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Hey Tim,
Okay, yeah, I remember what you mean now. Yeah, that's an impressive unit. Sounds like it weighs almost as much as the Hammond Organ I used to have! I imagine you need quite a crew to move one of those.
Pretty cool.
-Jon