PDA

View Full Version : Beware IBM 5151's on Ebay

Lorne
August 28th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I recently purchased on Ebay, received yesterday, and am immediately returning an IBM 5151 monitor.

The description reads:
IBM 5151 CRT Monochrome Monitor Works Good, Clean Shape
The listing detail reads:
...this has been breifly tested and seems to work good, no screen burn that I can tell..
The listing detail also reads:
....This will be sold as you see it..... (but there is no photo of the monitor)

The seller apparently doesn't know what screen burn looks like or where to find it.
The burn in was plainly obvious, once you removed the anti-glare screen covering the CRT.
The seller reports that he has about 50 of these, and they are all the same. So the listing will probably be around for a while.

When I suggested that the seller revise the listing to mention the burn in, he emailed me that:
"I was looking at them they all have that removable front cover on the fronts of them I never actually checked the condtion of the actual screen under the cover this cover I thought was right from the manufacture."

Unbelievable !

Buyer beware.

tezza
August 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM
How annoying. Returning a monitor (expecially one that heavy) is a real hassel.

Having been burned a couple of times with auction purchases on our Trademe site, I now ask a whole lot of questions if the description is vauge or open to interpretation. Some sellers get annoyed by this but if I don't get a straight answer I assume the unit is faulty and bid accordingly.

Sometimes it's just ignorance. One such experience iI know of involved a Sinclair QL. The buyer was offering one of these in working condition. Like the ZX-81, the membrane keyboards often get brittle and eventually fail.

I specificially asked if all the keys work. They buyer tried them - they didn't - and he promptly posted a notice saying the keys didn't work and offered to cancel anyone's bid who wanted to pull out of the auction. If I remember rightly the amount was up to $120 or so.

Of course he'd just switched it on, it booted so he assumed everything was ok. Anyway, it was good to see some integrity there. I think he sold it for a reasonable price anyway, but at least people knew what they were getting.

Tez

VintageComputerman
August 28th, 2009, 12:38 PM
(but there is no photo of the monitor)

There's your problem right there.

Fallo
August 28th, 2009, 12:46 PM
How annoying. Returning a monitor (expecially one that heavy) is a real hassel.

That's why I'm glad I obtained my 5151 locally. I got it from a (now closed) Salvation Army that usually had an abundance of computer stuff.

Sometimes it's just ignorance.

Speaking of ignorant sellers, did I ever tell you about a Commodore football game on Ebay earlier this year? The guy had a long list of systems that he said it would run on, VIC-20, PC, Atari 2600, 5200, NES, Sega Master System, etc., even though the box clearly said C64/C128 and all the above mentioned systems are completely incompatible with each other.

NeXT
August 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I call these template auctions.To save the hassle when doing numerous auctions, text templates for the type of auction will be made and applied/edited so some of the auction details might and normally are quite wrong.

phreakindee
September 2nd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks - I had considered this auction as I'm still searching for a 5151, but it looks like I won't be any longer.