PDA

View Full Version : To ALL VCF VIEWERS

Lorne
August 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
For those that do not have their location showing, please make it easier on the rest of us, by spending what should take no more than 15 seconds of your time doing the following:

From the main Vintage Computer Forums screen, at the top of the screen click on "User CP".

On the left side under "Your Control Panel", click on "Enter Your Details".

Scroll down to "Additional Information" and add "Where you Live".
IE: City/State (not longitude & latitude :))

Thank you !

Lorne
August 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Good - 28 views so far.

If 50% of those have added their location, that's 14 people, and a cumulative 3 1/2 minutes used = a whole bunch of posts saved asking "where are you located?"

However, mission not quite yet accomplished.

channelmaniac
August 30th, 2009, 10:02 PM
If you are worried about "giving too much information" on the web you can be generic...

Look at my location as an example. You know what area of the country I'm in... pretty specifically, but yet, not exactly. ;)

It DOES help folks when you post things like "free for local pickup" items.

tingo
August 31st, 2009, 09:50 AM
FWIW, I'm not worried. If any of you are in my town, give me a call, and I'll buy the coffee, beer or whatever you drink And we can chat about old computers. :-)
ObFrust: why doesn't this board have a place for me to input my signature once and for all?
--
Torfinn

Vlad
August 31st, 2009, 10:59 AM
ObFrust: why doesn't this board have a place for me to input my signature once and for all?
--
Torfinn

The Quick Links drop down at the top and under the User Control Panel heading should be Edit Signature.

tingo
September 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Quixk links ... indeed, it does have "edit signature". Thanks!

Lorne
February 13th, 2012, 06:59 PM
It's time for a bump - those reading, start at the top (ie: the first post).

This will save everyone asking "where are you located?" when you are asking for help or parts, and may even get you replies from some who don't bother replying when your location isn't shown.

Geo3
February 14th, 2012, 05:45 AM
On my screen it there is no "User CP", no "Your Control Panel". It is "Settings" and then "Edit Profile".

So third stone from the sun is little to vague.

Lorne
February 14th, 2012, 06:44 AM
OK, OK - someone moved it - the little blue third stone from the sun.

Click Settings at the top right.
Click Edit Profile under My profile on the left side.
Enter your location.

lutiana
February 14th, 2012, 06:48 AM
On my screen it there is no "User CP", no "Your Control Panel". It is "Settings" and then "Edit Profile".

So third stone from the sun is little to vague.

Click on "My Profile" in the top right, then go to the "About Me" tab and click on the pencil icon next to Location and enter your location.

As far as being specific, what does it matter, just don't enter your address and you'll be fine. I mean most cities/towns are bigger than two people, so it would be hard to actually find you in almost all cases (come to Martinez and locate me, I dare ya!). But still if you are that paranoid, then just enter your state or region so much better than leaving the rest of us guessing and a huge time saver.

Stone
February 14th, 2012, 06:48 AM
From the 'Settings' page...

On the left side, under 'My Settings' select 'Edit Profile'.

Near the bottom, in the 'Additional Information' box you'll see... 'Location:'

you're done.

DOS lives on!!
February 14th, 2012, 06:54 AM
All new members who are selling stuff should read this before they post a thread.