PDA

View Full Version : Oric-1: video output?

tingo
August 31st, 2009, 11:37 AM
I still have my first computer; an Oric-1. However, it is currently not working - the RF modulator is broken.
Nowadays, a video output would be more useful.

Has anyone made a video output for their Oric-1 machine (or similar machine)?
--
Torfinn

carlsson
August 31st, 2009, 11:00 PM
Some people have tried. If you have a French market Oric, its video outputs are of the right signal level and you could pretty much hook it up to SCART RGB as it is. If your Oric is of UK origin, things get more complicated as its video signal is .. well, I don't know if "fragile" is the right word but you would need a circuit to amplify and stabilize the signal. There are some documents posted on the Defence Force (http://www.defence-force.org/computing/oric/hardware/video/index.htm) site, but despite being cooked up many years ago it is unclear if they will work in all cases. Even the most hardware savvy Oric users haven't cracked this nut for a simple solution it seems.

tingo
September 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
No, my Oric-1 isn't french. The video signal is too low, (IIRC, it is about 0.2V) and needs to be amplified as you say. Yes, the people on Defence Force are smart, creative and friendly, but haven't found a way to fix this problem (or does't see a problem).

RGB-to-SCART is hard: none of my monitors or machines have SCART inputs, however, a video input isn't hard.

Otherwise, I would need something that converted from Oric video / Oric RGB to VGA, but I huess such a device would be expensive.

carlsson
September 2nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Most TV sets here in Europe have SCART.. :) But yes, composite video would also be an option. Supposedly one can tap the signal before it gets to the RF modulator, but again the signal is of unusually low voltage.