PDA

View Full Version : New "Least Favorite" computer?

Bobthearch
September 5th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Gateway 600-series Media Center computer. This thing is right up there with the IBM 300 PL and Apple G3 on my least-favorite list - probably on par with the Apple and a grade worse than the IBM.

Non-standard components? Check.
Useless or unavailable support? Check.
Chronically defective hardware? Check.
Inaccessible case and components? Check.
Missing software disk? Check.

ARGHHH!!!

I'm going to install Windows 98 or Me on this thing. At least the kids will be able to use Office 2000 for their homework...

Darshevo
September 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM
My experience with anything that bills itself as a 'Media Center' is typically manufacturers code for underpowered piece of crap with an S video out - but as you say, great for homework :D

-Lance

Bobthearch
September 5th, 2009, 05:28 PM
My experience with anything that bills itself as a 'Media Center' is typically manufacturers code for underpowered piece of crap with an S video out - but as you say, great for homework :D

-Lance

Yep, it's just like you say. Worst part is trying to match the odd hardware with an operating system other than the one it was designed for. No drivers... wireless keyboard and mouse, remote control, tv tuner, front controls... I've tried to disable all of that crap in the device manager, but I'm still having some problems - namely a hardware conflict in "Motherboard Resources" that may explain why the screen keeps going black and shut down freezes every single time.

Plus a few strange inconsistencies: Removable Disk A shows in My Computer, even though there's no floppy drive. The drives are running in MS-DOS mode. And they'll have to live with no sound.

If it was mine, I'd salvage a few parts and toss the rest in the dumpster. :bomb: What a POS.

linuxlove
September 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM
maybe instead of giving your kids that media center PC, you should buy an 8088 PC with a printer and Wordperfect and let them use that! muhuhahaha *cough hack* 8)

if i was going to make a media center PC, i'd just put a video card with TV out and use those headphone to RCA jack adaptors for sound.

Darshevo
September 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM
My old media server was a gateway as well (I use the term loosely) The removable media it claims is probably a built in card reader in one of the front bays. For some odd reason instead of saying I have a single removable media, it lists all 4 of the different card readers. I finally wiped it clean, put to 160 gb drives in it, tucked it under my desk and hooked it to my hub. The actual media server now is one of those little compaq evo's with nothing but a DVD drive in it and a video out. Its all controlled off of a wireless mouse and XBMC

-Lance

Chuck(G)
September 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM
You mean to say that you liked Packard-Bell PCs?

It seems that every few years, some company will come up with the notion that people want to watch TV on their desktop PCs. I've got two Toshiba Infinias from around 1998; they were supposed to be your telephone/FAX/answering machine/TV and FM radio. They even have a special very early USB control console and a remote.

About that same time IBM brought out a multimedia PC that was supposed to do the same thing.

Nobody seems to understand that it's not a good idea.

At least the Infinias used Intel motherboards...

Dreamcast270mhz
September 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Anything made by Dell I won't buy. I have dell machines but as soon as they quack they go in a bin. Compaq, Lenovo, Apple and Asus seem to be the best brands. As for specifics, the dimension B110. Onboard gfx can't be turned off, DMA issues with older than 99 PCI cards, slow and old IDE channels.

Bobthearch
September 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Well, installing Windows 98 was a dead deal. Either there's something wrong with the un-replaceable LCD screen or I can't find good-enough drivers. I don't recall any video trouble when XP was installed so it could be the latter. But the plethora of Black Screen video problems reported with this Gateway model support the first theory. Never could solve the motherboard resource conflict either, no matter what I disabled in the Device Manager.

Installing XP didn't work out either. There's an XP registration number on the computer, but it's good for the XP Media Center Edition ONLY. XP Home Basic did install and run easily, but no way to activate the installation.

What a POS.

Bobthearch
September 17th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Well I pulled a few parts (processor, RAM, PSU, etc.) and scrapped the rest. Good riddance.

Vlad
September 17th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Gateway was never bad operating wise for me but working on them, ugh. I remember one machine, a Slot 1 desktop that was abandoned on us at the shop had the inside metal parts of the chassis sharp as a meat cleaver. I cut my hand pretty bad on it to the point I wondered if I should carry QuikClot with me for future Gateway work. :rolleyes:

southbird
September 17th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Never could solve the motherboard resource conflict either, no matter what I disabled in the Device Manager.

I've had that trouble with video drivers before. It works fine on XP, but no go on anything less due to resource conflicts or lack of allocation or something. Sometimes the ORDER in which you install drivers matters, plus unchecking the "Automatically allocate resources" (? it's been a while) checkbox on the device (IF you get it working) will help force Windows to leave it alone.

What a POS.

But sometimes that's just all it is...

Mike Chambers
September 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Gateway 600-series Media Center computer. This thing is right up there with the IBM 300 PL and Apple G3 on my least-favorite list - probably on par with the Apple and a grade worse than the IBM.

Non-standard components? Check.
Useless or unavailable support? Check.
Chronically defective hardware? Check.
Inaccessible case and components? Check.
Missing software disk? Check.

ARGHHH!!!

I'm going to install Windows 98 or Me on this thing. At least the kids will be able to use Office 2000 for their homework...

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! don't bad-mouth the G3's. i may have to get medieval on yer arse. i love my 400 MHz slot-loader iMac. it's on right now runnin' 10.4.11 w/ 768 MB of PC133. they may have an inaccessable "case" but other than that they're rock-solid. i just don't like that the screen can only be blanked. it can't actually be powered off while the rest of the system is on. if it wasn't for that fact, the sucker would be my full-time http/ftp/e-mail server instead of an athlon xp i'm using.

Bobthearch
September 17th, 2009, 05:36 PM
WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! don't bad-mouth the G3's....

:grin:

There's one in every crowd. :cool:

Mad-Mike
September 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I'm slowly starting to sour on anything proprietary, or small cased. I hate banging my knuckles bloody in some tiny LPX/LTX chassis trying to figure out if some proprietary module is the cause for the problem, or a proprietary power supply. My best machines that I've ever owned were big nasty behemoths, my 4GHz modern box, my 286, my main 486's, they are all big, metal cased, and easy to work on.

My Tandy 1000 is an exception though, seems it works on the KISS Principle so nothing ever goes wrong with it for me ot have to knock my knuckles around inside.

wmmullaney
September 24th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Least favorite that I own: RS trash 80 pc 2, piece of junk.

shawn510
November 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Acer Aspire 5130
It has a known problem with the southbridge BGA chip. If I want to use the optical drive or the PC card slot I have to be sure to press down on the case just below the windows key while booting up. No joke, I actually have to assume the Acer booting position. :roll:

I'm sure it will die completely sooner than later.
Maybe it will be a candidate for the oven trick people have been doing with video cards.

Ole Juul
November 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM
My least favourite computer is any one that comes pre-installed with an operating system because they charge you for it and give you less hardware than you would have gotten otherwise.

Mac collector
December 31st, 2009, 07:16 PM
My least favorite Computer? Anyone I didn't build myself!

On a more serious note, My least favorite was a PC that came with a MSI motherboard (can't recall the name ATM), you couldn't update ANYTHING in it not even the CD drive or the machine would act up. It was a total POS