PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft

linuxlove
September 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
It's another tale of the age-old Windows vs. Linux. I'm pretty mad at Microsoft and Ballmer right now for this.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/microsoft-teaches-best-buy-employees-how-to-troll-linux-users.ars

channelmaniac
September 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Meh...

For your average consumer, it's far easier to install, use, and maintain (patch, etc..) Windows than Linux. Yeah, Linux kicks butt, but it's far harder for John Q. Computeruser to install software on (Compile? Not on Windows) and to patch than Windows.

Windows Update anyone?

For pro users, yeah, Linux is great... but for the majority of the Best Buy computer customer base? Windows.

Ole Juul
September 8th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Haha, there's lots of that kind of stuff around. I don't take these things personally any more - they're actually quite humorous. I suggest promoting Linux by NOT doing things like that. :)

MS-Win obviously has "superior" marketing - and anyone who thinks that is even remotely relevant to an operating system would perhaps prefer MS-Win. I believe in the freedom of people to chose an OS based on marketing tactics if that is what they think is important - even if it's a pretty kinky slant. :p In fact, I personally fall into that category. I would chose Linux based on MS-Win's marketing tactics.

Vlad
September 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Eh, it's all personal preference. Just use whatever works the best for you and whatever your the most comfortable with and try to ignore the fanboy/marketing wars. :rolleyes:

tezza
September 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Eh, it's all personal preference. Just use whatever works the best for you and whatever your the most comfortable with and try to ignore the fanboy/marketing wars. :rolleyes:

I agree entirely. I've seen many of these my <system>/<os>/<program> is better than yours over the years...Apple II vrs TRS-80....PC vrs Mac...16bit Amiga vrs Atari....Windows vrs Linux... blah blah blah.

I don't buy into it. Companies encourage fanboys as it gives them marketing drones.

As Vlad says, people should use whatever works the best for them. There are choices. No one system is going to be perfect for everyone.

Tez

Bobthearch
September 8th, 2009, 06:03 PM
A major vendor sends 'informational' marketing materials to retail sales people.

Shocking. :sleepy: (NOT!!)

Chuck(G)
September 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I'm not clear here--what are you objecting to? Microsoft's bashing of Linux?

The world is a lot easier to understand if you realize that the only function of a corporation is to make money for the owners, be they stockholders or private individuals. Don't expect it to act like anything other than that. Do not have the same expectations of corporations that you'd have of human beings. It isn't logical.

MikeS
September 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
It's another tale of the age-old Windows vs. Linux. I'm pretty mad at Microsoft and Ballmer right now for this.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/microsoft-teaches-best-buy-employees-how-to-troll-linux-users.ars
And the Linux community has never said anything bad about Microsoft or suggested that Linux is better than Windows in some ways? Yeah, right; Meh, Feh, yawn...

kishy
September 12th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Nothing said in there is false...
(I am now going to be editing this post for a rather lengthy time while I go step-by-step through the slides that link is providing)
Edit: No I'm not, that's taking forever.

Basic idea: the slides are all truthful.
We're talking about Linux, as in, the barebones CLI operating system...nowhere does it suggest we're dealing with a fully featured distribution. Deceptive? Sure! But false? Nope.

This said, I would like to see electronics retailers provide you with the option of buying your computer with "any compatible OS" installed, but make it the customer's responsibility to research and specify the alternate OS unless the assorted Linux distribution overseers feel like entering into marketing agreements (which would involve money, meaning they'd have to charge for their product, which is how it should be anyway).