PDA

View Full Version : Opera browser hit's 2million download mark

joe sixpack
May 4th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Opera browser has had 2 million downloads, has any one used it?
whats your opinion on opera?

[Source Article]
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news.aspx?CIaNID=18712

[Opera Softwares Website]
http://www.opera.com

i've never used it but have heard a lot of problems with java & page formating.
any one ever use it?

Exluddite
May 4th, 2005, 08:21 PM
any one ever use it?

I've used it, but I still like Firefox better. Just a matter of preference/familiarity I think. Give it a try. Unlike IE (if you use windows) it won't break your system if you don't like it and uninstall it.
I'm not 100% sure about Opera, but I know Firefox won't run a lot of Java scripts automatically. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned, especially if I'm in Windows and not Linux.
As far as things "not formatting properly", the pages might validate just fine and be W3C compliant.The problem is that people sometimes have to fudge the standards to work with IE. Lets face it, if you're running a commercial website, you want your pages to look good on IE before you worry about it being compliant to a standard.
The real headache for web developers is that the customers, of course, want both.

joe sixpack
May 4th, 2005, 09:16 PM
any one ever use it?

I've used it, but I still like Firefox better. Just a matter of preference/familiarity I think. Give it a try. Unlike IE (if you use windows) it won't break your system if you don't like it and uninstall it.
I'm not 100% sure about Opera, but I know Firefox won't run a lot of Java scripts automatically. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned, especially if I'm in Windows and not Linux.
i like mozila best, i keep a portable copy of firefox on a usb pen drive because it's smaller.
dont really care for firefox but it beats IE.
I have not tried opera because mozilla is good i doubt i would want to pay 40bucks
for a browser and i hate ad's all up in my face.
one thing i dont like about mozilla is its very high memory usage.
matter fact i commented somewhere on the board about it with a screen shot
using something like 400mb of physical memory... stacks up very quick.
it also is very heavy on the cpu on pages with lots of gif's thats one thing i can say for IE it's very lite.
BTW i hate javascript, the applets are nice and less abused. the thing is JS is way way way overused
and flash is being abused too. my cpu should'nt be 90% while just reading a webpage it's crazy!
and i see JS used for some of the dumbest shit. but the fact is it's a real
pain if you dont have javascript on in some sites they are out and out broken
unless i want to read the source and figure my own way around.
there a lot of things wrong with browsers these days but it's turning into
a rant so i'll save if for later.

As far as things "not formatting properly", the pages might validate just fine and be W3C compliant.The problem is that people sometimes have to fudge the standards to work with IE. Lets face it, if you're running a commercial website, you want your pages to look good on IE before you worry about it being compliant to a standard.
The real headache for web developers is that the customers, of course, want both.
true that!

carlsson
May 5th, 2005, 12:56 PM
The Opera CEO claimed he would swim from Norway to the USA (or maybe Canada) if they made one million downloads in the first four days. They did with a small margin, so the official word is that he's on his way as we speak. I wonder if that is not a publicity stunt.

What I did not like with Opera before is that it adheres to official standards. Well, nothing wrong with following the standard, but in some cases they only followed the standard, not trying to mimc some of the non-standard items introduced by Netscape and MSIE that some web developers liked to use and there was no obvious other solution to. Also, in some cases it seems the standard is not clear enough about how things should work, so it appears that all browsers - Mozilla/Netscape, MSIE and Opera - interpreted details differently. Who is right and who is wrong?

Honestly, I haven't given the latest Opera release a try, despite I should. Then again, how much of my work as a web programmer should be spent at making pages cross compatible if 90% of the visitors (I have stats) are using MSIE 5 or 6 anyway? How much of my work should be spent on making pages that strictly adhere to the standard, leaving out MSIE and 90% of my visitors, telling them that their browser sucks and need to go through a download and installation procedure? Some may not even be allowed or know how to install other software. Unemployment is a great thing, but I would rather not make myself unemployed over losing customers due to a browser issue. :x

animekenji
November 15th, 2005, 03:41 AM
The biggest problem with Opera is that they mimic either IE or Netscape. When you log in to a website that does not support Opera, you set it to emulation, and then access the site. The webmaster then has no way of knowing you are using Opera and hence, no incentive to optimize his site for Opera. As long as nobody is optimizing their websites for Opera, they will never become a standard and that means it's chameleon like ability to appear to be another browser has to go.

Vlad
November 15th, 2005, 03:50 AM
I think It sucks

-Vlad