PDA

View Full Version : Got alot of SNES and SEGA Genesis games cartridges?

lutiana
September 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM
If you do then check this out:

http://www.snega2usb.com

Its a very cool project for a USB to game cartridge adapter.

From the FAQ:

Q: What does it do?

The snega2usb is a reader for *Super Nintendo / *Super Famicom and *SEGA Mega Drive / *Genesis games. It has connectors for game cartridges, and a USB-B port. When you connect a game cartridge with a PC through USB, the game data appears as if it were a USB drive with a ROM file on it. Yes, the snega2usb can do battery-buffered savegames too. No, you cannot put new games on a non-writable cartridge.

JDT
September 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM
thats cool... but anyone geeky enough to buy this probably already has a 10+gb EMU directory thats just as easy to point thier emulator at. /shrug

I think its nifty anyway!

lutiana
September 14th, 2009, 10:54 PM
i think i might buy one, even though I have quite a few ROMs. I really like the idea of being able to plug the actual cartridges in. I am thinking about using it as a DIY SNES/Genesis media center machine.

pontus
September 14th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I'd love a NES -version of it. Then I could do something I always wanted: A 5.25 inch bay NES cartridge loader for my PC :)

Mike Chambers
September 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM
i'd love a nes -version of it. Then i could do something i always wanted: A 5.25 inch bay nes cartridge loader for my pc :)

that would be epic

NeXT
September 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
that would be epic

QFT
I would pay for one of those. :D

G.A.Pster
October 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Call me a purist but, Why not just use the real system? You can buy a genesis for $12.

digger
October 25th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Now if the WiiBrew developers add support for this adapter in the SNES and Genesis homebrew emulators for the Wii, that will be just too cool... :cool:

The Wii has a USB port, so it's definitely possible. :)

Raven
December 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'd love a NES -version of it. Then I could do something I always wanted: A 5.25 inch bay NES cartridge loader for my PC :)

I just found this thread, and after being shocked that one of these was being made, saw this comment. I actually removed the casing from a NES and began to work to fit an entire NES into a PC case with the PC, but never finished the project because the NES requires actual 115v AC to run on, and I can't provide that (with my electronics knowledge level anyway) from within a PC, and didn't want to run a power cord out the back (that's just ugly).

The plan was to make a drive plate that had a cartridge port, the power/reset buttons, and the controller ports. This would run back into the NES itself, which would be mounted somewhere in the case. The AV out lines from the side of the NES would be run to a USB tv card (could be any really, but USB chosen because of the next bit of plan). The USB card would be plugged into the internal port of a USB controller I have (PCI) that has a port pointing INTO the case. This way everything would look seamless and you could just turn on the tuner software, plug a controller and cart in, turn on the NES, and play. I'll pick it back up someday, 'cuz it's such a neat prospect. :P

I also tried to make a Sega Genesis controller <-> Parallel adapter, and had moderate success, but due to my poor soldering skills that project won't be finished. Schematics that would work with ppjoy for such an interface (also works with Atari/C64 controllers) is available online someplace.

I'm getting a bunch of USB<->Retro Controller Port adapters for xmas, and plan to use those + emulators + piles of ROMs to do my retrogaming for the most part in the foreseeable future.

im_an_alien
January 11th, 2010, 06:08 PM
@Raven: For your NES-in-a-PC project, you might try using a Super Joy III (or similar). It's one of those XX-in-one game controller things that plugs into the TV directly, and the Super Joy III in particular has a Famicom port on the back. You can also solder an NES controller/port to it, and the whole thing would (I think) still be small enough to fit in a 5.25" bay.

NathanAllan
January 11th, 2010, 09:01 PM
@raven, once you look inside an NES it regulates it down to regular old 5VDC, so the PC power supply can definitely be used, easily. It would actually be better for it than the stock NES power supply.

Yobo makes a very small NES clone, it would be a better fit inside anything. You'd have to make the cart slot work though, it's got a ribbon cable going to it to another board. Not much to the Yobo clones (or any other clone of an NES).

I'm getting ready to do something very similar to a Sony dual cassette player and a Radica Genesis plug n play(or a real Genesis)-- embed it into the tape deck and have built in games, heck yeah!

I'd love to have a NES ripper in a 5.25" bay though, that would be the best!

Starshadow
January 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Figured I'd add my recent find at the Games4Less in Tallahassee. Some company has released a portable Genesis called the RetroGen. So far, this thing is pretty sweet. It charges off a usb port on your computer, has a Genesis cart and is about as small as you can get a handheld and still have a cart slot, its much smaller than my Nomad.It also has one of the best looking screens I've seen on any handheld. I think it uses some kind of emulation instead of actual Genesis hardware, and there's rumors of a SD card-to-Genesis cart that will be made for it.

The only issue is the sound can be a little off pitch on some games, its not too bad.

Legodude522
February 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM
That's awesome. I was going to build my own adapter a few years back but got sidetracked. There was a way to dump Genesis cartridges through a serial interface I think it was by running a Sega CD program.

NathanAllan
February 5th, 2010, 07:06 PM
You can for sure dump a cart through the second controller port with that program, I know of it but don't know it well.

I have a Yobo NES clone, it definitely fits inside the 5.25" port.

http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.dkassandra4/UntitledAlbum#5434976675999282594