PDA

View Full Version : Working with Twinax

NeXT
September 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I ahve always seen MCI/ISA/PCI Twinax cards and I'm wondering if I install an MCA twinax card into my Model 95 PS/2, can I run a terminal server on the system and hang a twinax terminal or two off it?
I know it sounds dumb as I could just use serial terminals but still, I'm inquisitive.
The only systems I have ever seen Twinax working on was either AS/400 or larger IBM mainframes.
A Canadian Tire near me which recently closed had twinax terminals all over the store and this is why I'm asking as I might be able to get away with a few of them.

bear
September 22nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
I ahve always seen MCI/ISA/PCI Twinax cards and I'm wondering if I install an MCA twinax card into my Model 95 PS/2, can I run a terminal server on the system and hang a twinax terminal or two off it?
I know it sounds dumb as I could just use serial terminals but still, I'm inquisitive.
The only systems I have ever seen Twinax working on was either AS/400 or larger IBM mainframes.

Not really. Those twinax cards are to enable your PC to emulate a terminal to some twinax host. They are cousins of the 3270 emulation cards.

It'd be like trying to plug a USB scanner into a USB printer to get a USB copier. It just doesn't work that way. (@:

kishy
September 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Not helpful I'm sure, but once upon a time I got into the "infinite loop" that is Canadian Tire management asking about those terminals (I wanted one to mess with before I realized exactly how 'dumb' they are)

Regarding "releasing" an old terminal to me when it was scheduled to be replaced, I was told the following:

Store staff said it was handled by store owner,
Store owner said it was handled by third party but head offices could do it,
Head offices said it was handled by store owner,
Informed owner of this and he said it was a lie.

What third party in this day and age would still be leasing out dumb terminals...who would be dumb enough to actually lease them (heh, pun)? In any event, CT has no idea who they are owned by, apparently.

(regarding your actual question, I don't know, but I imagine the first reply covered it accurately...it is of course POSSIBLE that the card you want exists, but if it does, it would be rare, big, complicated and valuable)

NeXT
September 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
So this is a double bummer. Not only am what I thinking of probably not possible but the Canadian Tire won't surrender their terminals.

God damn I hate commerce these days. Whatever happened to leaving stuff on the loading dock with a note and putting a blind eye to people putting said stuff into their cars?

IBMMuseum
September 22nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Twinax is 5250 (notice the similiarity to the 5150 PC) terminals and terminal emulation. The host is actually defined as ¨midrange¨, not mainframes - System/32, System/34, System/36, and AS/400s. In regards to your (microchannel) Model 95, there were two IBM solutions - a single session card, and multiple session card.

They make that fancy $10,000 system (when new) behave like a $100 (now usually free) terminal...

pine-koan
October 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM
One time I had the unusually bad idea of buying one of the twinax host cards (the PCI ones that go inside the AS/400), and attempting to write a Linux driver for it, so I could plug some old AS/400 terminals into my Linux machine. I couldn't find a good supply of cheap terminals, though. They sometimes show up on ebay, but the shipping isn't exactly cheap.

geoffm3
October 28th, 2009, 11:10 AM
The pain of wiring up twin-ax wiring would be enough to keep me far, far away. By far one of my most hated jobs back-in-the-day. ;)

IBMMuseum
October 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
The pain of wiring up twin-ax wiring would be enough to keep me far, far away. By far one of my most hated jobs back-in-the-day. ;)

Nowadays you could try to find the baluns, and go to UTP cabling...

Same with older Token Ring Type 1 cables, to use media converters...

Definately easier to bend around corners than cables that were about 1/4" to 3/8" diameter...

It's trivia that CAT4 (between CAT 3 and CAT 5) was for 16Mbps Token Ring...

geoffm3
October 28th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Nowadays you could try to find the baluns, and go to UTP cabling...

Same with older Token Ring Type 1 cables, to use media converters...

Definately easier to bend around corners than cables that were about 1/4" to 3/8" diameter...

It's trivia that CAT4 (between CAT 3 and CAT 5) was for 16Mbps Token Ring...

We used those quite a bit as I recall too. Definitely a lot easier to deal with.

nige the hippy
October 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM
but the Canadian Tire won't surrender their terminals

well that was only one branch... You don't ask, you don't get!