PDA

View Full Version : Old Apple II game - Can't remember

BlueZ71
September 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
Hello,

I originally posted this in the Apple II area (http://vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=17355) but thought I would post here to see if anyone else has any ideas. This is my original posting:

Hello,

I'm hoping someone may be able to figure out a game I am looking for. It's hard to describe but I remember it being an rpg/adventure type game. I believe it was in applesoft with no graphics with a top down view. It looked a lot like Apple Trek in terms of top down view, except it was an adventure instead of space. I believe the map consisted of characters like $ @ ^ etc... I think a temple was a ^ character. Thought the game was called combat or monster combat, something like that but doesn't seem to be the case. I wish I could provide more clues. I often wonder if it was just a game that was created locally and distributed at the time. I know I did play it a lot and it was on a disk with other games.

It was a lot like this star trek game (select the video on the right hand side). In fact I can't seem to find this exact star trek game either which I remember. I think Apple Trek is a little different. In this star trek game I remember text being displayed at different points where the Klingons would order you to surrender. The adventure game I'm thinking of is very similar.
http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/system-80/software_games-videos.htm

If anyone remembers or has any ideas that would be great. Thank you for your help! :)

wmmullaney
September 23rd, 2009, 12:33 PM
you might cruise around virtualapple.org and see if you can find it.

BlueZ71
September 23rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

I actually did that but couldn't find the adventure game I was looking for. I also couldn't find that exact star trek version. Seeing that the star trek version that I listed is on another platform and a little different that Apple Trek I'm guessing maybe both these games were done locally and distributed. Perhaps out of a programming book or something.

If I do find them I'll go ahead and post the link.

barythrin
September 23rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Do you remember the purpose in the game? You don't suppose it was Rogue or Hack or something ported to the Apple II? http://www.mobygames.com/game/rogue/screenshots

BlueZ71
September 23rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately it wasn't Rogue.
What I do remember of the game was that it was top down view and it was in a grid sort of like the Apple Trek game where all the landmarks were ASCII. I think maybe a ^ was a temple or shop or something. There were no rooms displayed and if I remember correctly if you entered anything like a shop it was all text that scrolled. Don't remember dungeons. I believe it was all outside like a wilderness adventure. No graphics or borders around rooms or landmarks. I keep thinking the name was combat or monster combat..something like that. I remember all my friends had the game but don't know if was just something taken out of a book and then distributed. The game never had an ending I don't think. You'd just keep going and fighting monsters and getting some treasure.
The grid looked a little like this. A lot like the ascii games but no dungeon rooms.
-----$---------
--^-----------
--------$$----

Frustrating me trying to remember the game...Just a little. :D

bugman2112
September 24th, 2009, 07:44 AM
My guesses don't match all your disciptions, but what about Telengard? Its not wilderness, but it doesn't have many structured rooms, just lots of walls. It's also realtime - you only have a few seconds to make a move.

BlueZ71
September 28th, 2009, 07:56 AM
**** Just wanted to update that I found the game. I actually wasn't going crazy after all.:grin: At first I did think it may have been Telengard until I saw the screenshot but it wasn't. Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help out! The game is called Monster Combat and it was a game out of a programming book called "big computer games" and also appeared in Creative Computing magazine. Someone in my area must have distributed it to many others in my area and coded it for the Apple II. Wonder if anyone remembers it. Here's the link:
http://www.atariarchives.org/bigcomputergames/showpage.php?page=34

tingo
September 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Your link is broken. This one works better (hopefully):
http://www.atariarchives.org/bigcomputergames/showpage.php?page=34

BlueZ71
September 28th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Tingo,

Thanks for the heads up. I went back and fixed the link.

bugman2112
December 15th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I was just curious if you obtained a "typed in" version of this game for any BASIC computer (or have you typed it in yourself?). Although scans of these books are readily available at atari archives, they are not really suitable for OCR. So I would be interested in any source from these books that are already typed in (Basic Games, More Basic Games, Big Computer Games).

The only ones I have found on the net are from Basic Computer Games.

BlueZ71
February 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I just saw this posting. To answer your question, I'm not sure if it was a typed in version for any computer. I only remember it was being distributed among the local channels way back when. The link I posted seems to be the exact same game, although I'm sure it was modified to work on an Apple and may have been changed around a little. I'm suprised it's not floating out there somewhere.

I was just curious if you obtained a "typed in" version of this game for any BASIC computer (or have you typed it in yourself?). Although scans of these books are readily available at atari archives, they are not really suitable for OCR. So I would be interested in any source from these books that are already typed in (Basic Games, More Basic Games, Big Computer Games).

The only ones I have found on the net are from Basic Computer Games.