PDA

View Full Version : Low level format for a PS/2 70 HD

tezza
September 25th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Hi,

My PS/2 70 now has a working floppy drive thanks to Allen on these forums and the Vintage Forum Marketplace. Everything is working just fine.

One thing I want to do is put OS/2 2.1 on this machine. I have the installation disks. Before I do though I thought I'd give the hard drive a low level format to chase out any cobwebs.

It's an ESDI drive and it's on a PS/2 MCA machine. Can I just use the generic AT low-level formatters or do I need a special program for this?

Tez

IBMMuseum
September 25th, 2009, 07:12 PM
...I thought I'd give the hard drive a low level format to chase out any cobwebs.

It's an ESDI drive and it's on a PS/2 MCA machine. Can I just use the generic AT low-level formatters or do I need a special program for this?

Ctrl-A from the Reference Diskette...

Chuck(G)
September 25th, 2009, 07:13 PM
There's BIOS support for low-level format in these machines, but it's not compatible with the generic AT LL format. Use the Reference Diskette to do it.

tezza
September 25th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Yep, thanks guys.

Allen saw this post and sent me an email on this too.

Good thing I asked. Use Ctrl/A to reveal some hidden functions on the reference disk. I certainly wouldn't have thought of that. I guess IBM didn't want to make it too obvious in case plain old users accidently erased the hard disk.

Not that that's likely. I'm into the low-level format procedure as I type. The system asks you three times "Are you sure you want to do this?".

The message with the procedure said this could take up to 6 hours!!. Good thing it's the weekend here. The first phase through all the cylinders was reasonably fast. I'm on the second phase now up to cylinder 110. It's going through all the cylinders again except this time much slower. I'm assuming it's giving them a thourough check. No defective cylinders so far.

Not the same as an FDISK procedure that's for sure.

Tez