PDA

View Full Version : How to reinstall a licensed OpenVMS box ?

leaknoil
October 12th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I have a 3100/40 with 6.2 installed but, one of the drives is whining so bad I want to kill myself when near it. I would like to put a single modern and quiet drive in it and reinstall OpenVMS. I am licensed for what I think is 20 users. Do I have that right ? Why does it say 0 or F avail ?

Anyway, so I want to retire these drives for one that doesn't make my ears bleed. This came with a original 6.2 OpenVMS cd set but, none of the PAKS. What is the best way to do this ? I am a total vms noob. What little I ever knew I have forgotten. Remembering dir was enough of a struggle. My ears will be grateful for any help.

------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating ----- -- Version --
Product Producer Units Avail Activ Version Release Termination
BASE-VMS-250136 DEC 18 0 A 0.0 (none) (none)
BASIC DEC 200 F 0 0.0 (none) (none)
NET-APP-SUP-200 DEC 200 F 0 0.0 (none) (none)
OPENVMS-ALPHA-ADL DEC 1600 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)
VMS-USER DEC 2000 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)

This is a MicroVAX 3100-30/40, hardware model type 209
Type: A, Units Required: 18 (VAX/VMS Capacity or OpenVMS Unlimited or Base)
Type: B, * Not Permitted * (VAX/VMS F&A Server)
Type: C, Units Required: 100 (VAX/VMS Concurrent User)
Type: D, * Not Permitted * (VAX/VMS Workstation)
Type: E, Units Required: 230 (VAX/VMS System Integrated Products)
Type: F, Units Required: 20 (VAX Layered Products)
Type: G, * Not Permitted * (Reserved)
Type: H, * Not Permitted * (Alpha Layered Products)
Type: I, Units Required: 20 (Layered Products)

pontus
October 13th, 2009, 12:12 AM
It probably has a SCSI drive right? Can't you make an image in a modern system and put that on a new drive?

leaknoil
October 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Its on a couple of small DEC labeled scsi drives which complicates things a little. The main thing that complicates it is I'm not very familiar with VMS. On unix I'd just partition a new drive, make it bootable if needed, copy everything, and hope for the best.

Its a bit of a catch 22 at the moment. I need to poke around the box to figure out how to do things but, the thing is so loud I can't stand turning it on. I guess I could try and dig up a really long serial cable or a AUI transceiver and telnet in. As long as I can get this in another room I'll be ok.

pontus
October 13th, 2009, 10:22 PM
If you are comfortable using unix, you should be able to use dd. However, not every PC has a scsi card. I guess there is a chance it is 50 pin scsi as well.

leaknoil
October 14th, 2009, 09:07 AM
dd would require identical drives.

It seems like BACKUP is the way to go on VMS but, it looks like there is a 1gb size limit on the bootable drive on the 3100/40. I wonder if I even have any quiet 1gb drives anymore. They are getting pretty rare.

I have access to a 7.3 vms cd. Is the upgrade worth doing on a 3100/40 ? There is 6.2 on it now. The poor box can only hold 32mb ram. Anyone know if a 3100/40 handle 7.3 ?

barythrin
October 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I wish I knew more about VMS to help. I toyed with it very shortly. On the bright side it was quite interesting and fun to play with.

I do know there's a way (I just forgot but google should tell you eventually) to back up your licenses if that's your concern. Alternatively you could probably "tar cvf drivebackup.tar *" your entire OS then maybe zip it (unless you have tar with zip already which you could add a z in your arguments ("tar cvzf backup.tar.gz *").

Then a reinstall on a new drive and decompress the copy over it **as long as you can get the backup back on the system from your new install** and you'd probably be back to where you were licenses, paks, and all.

leaknoil
October 14th, 2009, 10:33 AM
It is interesting. I intend to dig into it deeper once I can lose the noisy drive. BACKUP seems to be the way to go for transferring the system to a new disk from what I have googled. I'm just not clear about the 1gb limit.

I'd actually like to be able to do a full new install on a clean drive but, it kind of looks like I would need the actual physical paper licenses to do that. I can't find any mention of retrieving them other then calling Digital to look them up. Don't even know if Compaq would do it anymore.

tradde
October 14th, 2009, 12:12 PM
It is interesting. I intend to dig into it deeper once I can lose the noisy drive. BACKUP seems to be the way to go for transferring the system to a new disk from what I have googled. I'm just not clear about the 1gb limit.

I'd actually like to be able to do a full new install on a clean drive but, it kind of looks like I would need the actual physical paper licenses to do that. I can't find any mention of retrieving them other then calling Digital to look them up. Don't even know if Compaq would do it anymore.

Can you load up something under Simh and create an image and then use DD to get it
on the new drive? I did this with BSD to a PC SCSI drive. THen I hooked that up to
my UDA50 and it booted just fine. It was not using the entire drive, but so what.
That can be fixed later.

pontus
October 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM
dd would require identical drives.

Really? I don't know if VMS does require some magic in regards to sector/cylinder layout, but in my experience any disk of the same size or larger will gladly take a dd image. Of course the bits above the original size will be unused.

However, if you manage to use BACKUP properly, that is probably better.