PDA

View Full Version : Would like to acquire CP/M z80 machine

irishmike
October 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Greetings:

I am not sure which one of these to try to go for. Cost is a major factor, it seems to me that TRS-80 Model II or III's are going for very big bucks these days! I would like to get a Z80 based machine to run CP/M on and again do it in an inexpensive fashion. A TRS-80 Model III with Green screen would be ideal with two drives, however, I know those can be upwards of $600 and it just isn't worth that for my situation.

Suggestions on good Z80 based machines would be appreciated that fall into a less coinage category. I am not sure that the IMSAI 8080 I am seeking runs CP/M, but I am still looking for one of those as well. Although that is definitely going to probably be a good size investment as well unless someone just wants one out of their hair or something. BTW: If you have one that you would like to see a good home for, please definitely keep me in mind -- I would naturally pay shipping for one.

PM me if you have one to dispose of.

pitlog
October 13th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Kaypros are going on eBay sometimes for under $100 with shipping. Pick a decent one, and you're off and running.

-Tom

Greetings:

I am not sure which one of these to try to go for. Cost is a major factor, it seems to me that TRS-80 Model II or III's are going for very big bucks these days! I would like to get a Z80 based machine to run CP/M on and again do it in an inexpensive fashion. A TRS-80 Model III with Green screen would be ideal with two drives, however, I know those can be upwards of $600 and it just isn't worth that for my situation.

Suggestions on good Z80 based machines would be appreciated that fall into a less coinage category. I am not sure that the IMSAI 8080 I am seeking runs CP/M, but I am still looking for one of those as well. Although that is definitely going to probably be a good size investment as well unless someone just wants one out of their hair or something. BTW: If you have one that you would like to see a good home for, please definitely keep me in mind -- I would naturally pay shipping for one.

PM me if you have one to dispose of.

ziloo
October 13th, 2009, 09:10 AM
For a long lasting friendship with your CP/M machine,
visit your nearest lynchaj dealer....

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=10499

ziloo :biggrin:

tezza
October 13th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Greetings:

I am not sure which one of these to try to go for. Cost is a major factor, it seems to me that TRS-80 Model II or III's are going for very big bucks these days! I would like to get a Z80 based machine to run CP/M on and again do it in an inexpensive fashion. A TRS-80 Model III with Green screen would be ideal with two drives, however, I know those can be upwards of $600 and it just isn't worth that for my situation..

The TRS-80 Model III does not run CP/M unless modified. You might be thinking of the the Model IV, which has both TRSDOS and CP/M modes.

Tez

ahm
October 13th, 2009, 09:53 AM
If you've already got an MSDOS system, you might investigate a CP/M emulator called MYZ80 (http://www.z80.de/myz80.zip).
It does an awesome job and has lots of neat features too, like SLOWDISP to slow down the display.

Cheers,
Andy

Lorne
October 13th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Osborne 1a's have been dirt cheap on Ebay recently.
(You just need to use a magnifying glass when you're looking at the screen).

NobodyIsHere
October 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM
For a long lasting friendship with your CP/M machine,
visit your nearest lynchaj dealer....

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=10499

ziloo :biggrin:

Hi Ziloo! Thanks! You are too kind! Just do a Google search on "N8VEM" to find the websites.

Actually you can build your own home brew Z80 CP/M computer fairly inexpensively and have a lot of fun doing it. There are a whole bunch of builders doing that every day at the N8VEM home brew computing project. You can do a little at a time or the whole thing at once. Mix and match peripherals and make the machine do what *YOU* want it to!

Right now we are doing some testing on the new N8VEM VDU board. The production PCB is generating video so that is good news. Once that is fully working, it will be possible to build you own completely independent (no PC or terminal required) Z80 CP/M computer completely from scratch using the N8VEM PCBs. Your computer can have RAM and ROM drives, serial, parallel, RTC, Zilog Peripherals (CTC, DART, PIO), IDE hard drives, floppy drives, bus monitor, front panel LED display & hex keyboard, CRT video display, LCD display, PS/2 keyboard, and a whole bunch of other stuff. There are several more projects in the works too!

Please feel free to come join in the fun of building your own home brew Z80 CP/M computer from scratch! I think you'll have fun and there is always room for new builders! Especially if you would like to make your own peripherals and/or software! New builders young and old always welcome! Experienced or brand new, it makes no difference! You'll have fun and learn a lot!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Fallo
October 13th, 2009, 11:34 PM
The TRS-80 Model III does not run CP/M unless modified. You might be thinking of the the Model IV, which has both TRSDOS and CP/M modes.

CP/M did exist for the Model I and III, but as their video memory was in the location where the TPA normally began, software had to be specially modified for them.

tezza
October 14th, 2009, 01:41 AM
CP/M did exist for the Model I and III, but as their video memory was in the location where the TPA normally began, software had to be specially modified for them.

Wasn't a hardware modification needed as well?

Tez