PDA

View Full Version : latest addition to my Museum...

rebeltaz
October 23rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
I thought I'd show off my latest acquisition... a complete Atari 800 XL system, with disk drive, power supplies, two joysticks, a pair of paddle controllers, a couple of games and all of the instruction manuals.... $30 at a Thrift Store with half off. I saw it when it was full price but wasn't quite willing to give that (as I carried throughout the whole store in my buggy trying to talk myself into it). When I went back the next week, and it would have been 30% off, I couldn't find it, so I figured they sold it. Then I went back this week and there it was. Looked like fate to me so.... here it is.

www.RobotsAndComputers.com/computers/images/full_size/atari800xl.jpg

VintageComputerman
October 24th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Now that's a great deal!!! Excellent find!!!

Unknown_K
October 24th, 2009, 08:04 AM
$30 is a good deal if it all works and has all the cables (hard to find interconnect cables for Atari). My understanding is that PS you have pictured is the reliable one (there are a few different kinds).

TomFCS
October 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Nice find! Looks to be in really nice condition too.

tezza
October 24th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Yes, assuming the photo you posted was what you got, it looks great!

I have an Atari 800XL with similar peripherals. It's tidy but it has more of a worn look about. In particular, the label has faded. I'm looking for a non-working-but-excellent-case machine to replace the casing.

I should say loved look, as it was obviously someone's well-used gaming machine.

Tez

Unknown_K
October 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I have a 65xe that looks new (got it dirty and dead, replaced the RAM and it works fine now). Someday I will get the XF555? floppy drive for it to make it usable, want the drive to match the machine. I have the same power brick as pictured, but you can hide that.

rebeltaz
October 24th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I am beaming over here :D can y'all tell? Seriously, I appreciate the kind words.

Yes, tezza, that picture is if the system that I got. The only Photoshop'd (or GIMP'd since I use Linux) part is the background that I removed to make the photo more professional appearing. It really is in that good of condition. To be honest, I don't even think there was any dust on it.

I bought a few cartridges that are designed for the XEGS (which I am looking for to replace the one that I sold at a hamfest when I was young and naive) that I am hoping will work on the 800XL. The specs seem to be the same, so maybe...