PDA

View Full Version : Ibm as400 9406-620

pine-koan
October 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM
How difficult is it going to be to find the OS for one of these beasts? There's one available locally but it has no OS installed on it, and they don't have the media (or anything else)

SteveH
October 27th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Whilst it may not be too difficult sourcing a copy of the OS media, the hard part is affording the license keys to run it - you are looking at $100s if not $1000s (depending on processor(s) installed). It'll happily run for 90 days without a valid licence, but after then will refuse to IPL. During the 90 day countdown, warning messages will be sent to the system operator message queue. Of course you could just re-load the OS every 90 days. :rolleyes:

By the way, the 9406-620 is certainly no small server.

pine-koan
October 27th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Whilst it may not be too difficult sourcing a copy of the OS media, the hard part is affording the license keys to run it - you are looking at $100s if not $1000s (depending on processor(s) installed). It'll happily run for 90 days without a valid licence, but after then will refuse to IPL. During the 90 day countdown, warning messages will be sent to the system operator message queue. Of course you could just re-load the OS every 90 days. :rolleyes:

By the way, the 9406-620 is certainly no small server.

It was forklifted into the back of my truck this morning. As far as the OS goes, if I locate a copy of the OS, I don't care if I have to reinstall it every 90 days, the machine is just to poke around with.

pine-koan
November 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Turns out the machine still had the OS and stuff on it. V4R3, with COBOL, ILE RPG, and Java. Older stuff, but still useful.

barythrin
November 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Just curious but where'd you end up finding/hearing about that beast? The new question you should seek out is how to back up/export the licenses or image the system so you can restore it to it's current state.

pine-koan
November 12th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Just curious but where'd you end up finding/hearing about that beast? The new question you should seek out is how to back up/export the licenses or image the system so you can restore it to it's current state.

They show up on ebay every once in a while. The one I have is very large, and probably weighs close to 600 pounds. So I had to wait until I found one that was close enough to pick up locally.

For now, I connected the drives to a Linux box, and used 'sg_dd' to image them. Regular dd won't work because the drives have a 522-byte sector size. There is close to 50GB of data on the system, so I chose not to try and back it up with the 2GB QIC drive. I'll wait until I get a better tape drive (ebay?). You are supposed to be able to do a total system backup (GO SAVE 21), and it makes a bootable media that you can restore from.

I'm not sure that you can restore from that media without having to re-enter any license keys. I've asked around on a few AS400 boards about that.