PDA

View Full Version : Holy Grail of Cards

lyonadmiral
October 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I'm just wondering what Apple II hobbiests think they're holy grail of cards is for this platform. In that regard, this type of card is the one card that you want the most for the system but can't find or maybe its the card that is the most valuable to you in your system.

Unknown_K
October 28th, 2009, 07:54 PM
For the Apple IIgs it would be a rare Transwarp II accelerator. Rare, powerfull, and still usefull.

tezza
October 29th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I'm just wondering what Apple II hobbiests think they're holy grail of cards is for this platform. In that regard, this type of card is the one card that you want the most for the system but can't find or maybe its the card that is the most valuable to you in your system.

Do you valuable in monetory terms or just "value" in that it really adds usability to the system?

If the latter (usability), assuming that a disk II card is a given for the Apple II it would have to be the 16k language card because it lets you do a heap of other stuff. The CPM card is pretty cool too.

For a IIe I would say the super serial card.

Tez

bugman2112
October 29th, 2009, 04:53 AM
1) A modern implementation of a VGA card as to not rely on composite displays. There are a couple of cards that are reaching maturity now.

2) A modern replacement for old disk drive technology so I can use my Apples, and pass them on for a long time. There are several options now too (MicroDrive card, etc.)

3) I'm still having trouble finding an accelerator that meets all my needs. There are several boards out there that achieve accelerated processing. But most of them don't correctly read joystick routines and therefore games using joysticks are unplayable. My understanding is that the Zip Chips, later transwarp cards, and later McT Speed demon cards do what I want. But I havn't found one at a reasonable price.

Other than that, I can't honestly say that I have not been able to find what I want by keeping an eye on Ebay and such. Most Apple II hobbysts find original Apple II's (no plus, c, e, just II) fairly rare and expensive. Most would also kill for an original Apple I. I know Apple II Integer ROM cards fetch a high price too.

Dwight Elvey
October 29th, 2009, 06:02 AM
SWYFT card
Dwight

david__schmidt
October 29th, 2009, 06:10 AM
SWYFT card
Good call. I was having trouble figuring out what would meet this criteria - this finally does. It's of historical significance, is actually rare, and not simply expensive.

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/parts/swyft-card/index.html

channelmaniac
October 29th, 2009, 06:59 AM
I want the Apple II hardware diagnostic card and haven't been able to find one.

I have a $60 bounty out on it.

mwillegal
October 30th, 2009, 03:12 AM
There are two distinct audiences here: collectors of the early models and users of the later IIe and gs systems. There are probably two things that are of most interest to the first group.

1) the apple 1 - one sold on ebay for the 17,000 buy it now price recently. who knows what it would have gone for, without the buy it now.

2) the earliest run of Apple ]['s with rev 0 board with original components and the case without cooling slots - I've never seen or heard of one of these being put up for sale. Here are some pictures of one. http://www.solivant.com/appleII/. Later II's with rev 0 motherboards routinely reach $1000 and exceptional units over $2000. It is hard to say how much one of these, without the cooling slots, would go for, especially if it was in good shape.

Regards,
Mike Willegal

NobodyIsHere
October 30th, 2009, 05:37 AM

Hi! Do you have any information on the card? Images, documentation, schematics, etc?

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

dorkbert
October 30th, 2009, 08:11 AM
For the Apple IIgs it would be a rare Transwarp II accelerator. Rare, powerfull, and still usefull.

Of course, Transwarp II was for the 8 bit line, not for the GS. I sold one some years ago for about 600 bucks.

barythrin
October 30th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Not sure how rare it is but I remember Aaron selling an Apple II card for around $200 I think (auction) and I was surprised it was so much but it was something like a 2MB RAM card and fully populated which I guess the larger memory cards are rare for these systems. That's about the best card I've seen first hand sell for.

I think the Z80 cards are pretty sweet though.. anything to get a vintage system able to run multiple OSs and CPUs I think is awesome. I guess I love the old school hardware emulation.

tezza
October 30th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I think the Z80 cards are pretty sweet though.. anything to get a vintage system able to run multiple OSs and CPUs I think is awesome. I guess I love the old school hardware emulation.

Yes, I've got two of these Z80 cards and I think their introduction was a brilliant idea at the time. In fact, I'm sure they helped cement the Apple II in the business market. They gave Microsoft quite a name too.

Actually, it wasn't even a case of emulation. The card did turn the Apple into a real 8-bit Z80 machine! The beauty of an "open" system. Ironic how Apple went completely the other way with the Mac.

Tez

Druid6900
October 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I have a lot of cards for the Apple ][/][+, disks controller, language cards, z80 cards, corvus HD controller, etc., but the coolest card I had was a Sun Inc. IC tester card that would identify and test TTL and CMOS chips.

The card would either sit in a slot, or could be used with a paddle board and cable.

I think I got about 800 bucks for it on Fee-Bay when I sold it after getting a hand-held tester that tested DRAM chips as well.

Unknown_K
October 30th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Of course, Transwarp II was for the 8 bit line, not for the GS. I sold one some years ago for about 600 bucks.

That explains why it is so rare, its not for the IIgs.

I have a normal transwarp for the IIgs, its ok.

October 31st, 2009, 09:57 PM
As far as valuable cards go, I've got the Rev C. SCSI card and a BAL-500 EPROM programmer and workstation card. Have not used either one yet, and the SCSI card is still in the box.

ralphw
November 9th, 2009, 04:38 AM
That's easy:

Today, the Carte Blanche card (http://www.applelogic.org/CarteBlanche.html) is the new "holy grail" card. There are 50 cards out there now, and (hopefully) more to be manufactured.

The carte blanche will emulate other cards, since it has an FPGA onboard. It plugs into an Apple // and provides VGA output by default, but can do audio, SD card access, coprocessor/z80 emulation, and other things.

25 years ago, the "holy grail" card was the Apple-cat modem. I had implemented an IVR system (touch-tone recognition with speech synthesis) with included answering machine all on this one $189 modem card. The Apple-cat has its own Wikipedia page (well, sort of, it's mixed in with other Novation cat products), but the best page is here (http://www.jammed.com/~jwa/Machines/cat/)

lyonadmiral
November 9th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Where do you buy one of those, or can you even buy one?

TheLazy1
November 14th, 2009, 12:55 PM

I'm not sure, but I think I have this card...
I think it says something like "Apple IIe diagnostic card" or something similar, I'll have to look around for it.

[EDIT]
On the card:

Apple Computer Inc.
(C) 1982
APPLE//e DIAGNOSTIC RC

Mike Chambers
November 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM
imo, the Uther ethernet adapter. :)

Dutch
November 14th, 2009, 07:54 PM
imo, the Uther ethernet adapter. :)

I'll second that.:)

Mike Chambers
November 14th, 2009, 10:50 PM
yep, combine the Uther with Contiki OS and you've got yourself a fine little (very) small-scale web server all running on a modest apple ][. i am thinking about getting one for my //e. i already made some contiki disks for it.

Drken
November 23rd, 2009, 05:38 AM
My experience with the Uthernet card and Contiki was quite different from yours. I couldn't get Contiki functional, and after far too many wasted hours of frustration, I gave up on it completely. (Being able to read email but not send email is quite useless.) I still have the Uthernet card, but it sits in the box, uninstalled and unused. I finally (after more than a month of waiting) got the Spectrum software, but haven't gotten around to attempting it yet... need to let the sour taste of the Contiki experience disappear first.

Mike Chambers
November 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
well, nobody claimed contiki would be a replacement for windows or linux. :p

it's just a neat little toy. i've booted the disk even though i dont have an uther card yet, and played around with the system. looks interesting. if nothing else, the fire screen saver is awesome!!

:bigups:

Dutch
November 23rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
My experience with the Uthernet card and Contiki was quite different from yours. I couldn't get Contiki functional.

Were you trying the 2.0 release? Because, I couldn't get that to load, my ROM3 chokes on it every time. If someone knows something I don't please speak up. I've been using my Uthernet for ADTPro transfers across my network, and in that regard it is a nice have.

-Dutch

Drken
November 24th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I used v 2.13. It is now up to release 2.3, but I haven't tried it nor will I be. From what I saw, the juice is not worth the squeeze...