PDA

View Full Version : Transfer data by parallel - Possible?

linuxlove
October 30th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I'd like to clear stuff off my PS/2, and i know you can with a null modem cable, but i don't have one of those. I do however have a parallel cable that using Windows' Direct Cable Connection, it worked, so i am wondering if there us a way to do this in DOS.

Jorg
October 30th, 2009, 08:49 AM
intersvr & interlnk

(in MS-DOS; filelink in DR-DOS)

Network PCs using a null modem cable or LapLink cable. The server-side version of InterLnk, it also immobilizes the machine it's running on as it is an active app (As opposed to a TSR) which must be running for any transfer to take place. DR-DOS' filelink is executed on both the client and server.

New in PC-DOS 5.02, MS-DOS 6.0
No direct Unix equivalent, though some Unices offer the ability to network computers with TCP/IP through null modem or Laplink cables using PLIP or SLIP.

As in Laplink cable = parallel crossed cable.
So, if you have MS-DOS 6 or above, its included. Run intersvr on one machine, interlink on the other.

lutiana
October 30th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Parralell transfers are quite a bit faster than serial. And there are several different ways to do it. I personally use Norton Commander.

IBMMuseum
October 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I'd like to clear stuff off my PS/2, and i know you can with a null modem cable, but i don't have one of those. I do however have a parallel cable that using Windows' Direct Cable Connection, it worked, so i am wondering if there us a way to do this in DOS.

Concerning transfers by parallel port on a PS/2, why not see if you can do it (fabbing your own cable if needed) the way IBM did for PS/2s?:

http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/floppy/Data_Migration_Facility.html

This was the mechanism that was designed for migrating data from systems that had 5-1/4" floppy drives to PS/2s having only 3-1/2" floppy drives...

linuxlove
October 30th, 2009, 10:07 AM
well, i just tried interlnk/intersvr between the PS/2 and the Toshiba laptop. It worked, but i couldn't transfer data. I think that may be because the hard drive in the Toshiba is FAT32. Will try it on my 486 and see how it goes.

krebizfan
October 30th, 2009, 10:31 AM
If you try it again, make sure the DOS machine is the server and the FAT32 machine is the client. The two systems should have their parallel ports in the same mode if possible.

linuxlove
October 31st, 2009, 06:40 AM
well, with the 486, i am able to copy files back and forth and am even installing windows 3.0 on the 8088 via interlink... so it works! thanks guys