PDA

View Full Version : How much should I pay?

YuZi92
November 1st, 2009, 06:19 PM
I'm new to the whole vintage computer scene and I'm not sure what to offer for each computer. Could I get some advice?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sys/1441890782.html

Unknown_K
November 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Are you local to the seller?
None of those are worth that much $10 a piece I guess, and are pretty useless without either carts or disk drives with software PLUS power supplies for the units themselves.

The Tandy is boxed thats a plus if you like original boxes. Don't see how you can say the others are in original bags, they are just bags big deal.

If you ask on freecycle you tend to get flooded with C64/Vic 20 machines and maybe floppy drives and software if you are lucky.

barythrin
November 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Kinda depends how much you want for it. A lot of folks use completed auctions on ebay to gauge what the going rate is however this is usually high.

If you're really interested in the systems the it's kinda your descretion on what you think they're worth. I've paid higher prices before myself after getting tired of seeking some slightly oddball systems for years however these as previously said aren't rare.

Some folks think they're gold mines and want that rare pricetag or value but don't let them fool ya. The system is worth maybe $30 with the box and everything inside the box, the additional components are around $15 probably. I would offer $60 for all of it if it's stuff you want, or wait and you'll find the single items you want out of the lot for less.

- John

Bobthearch
November 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Those are rather common models and generally sell cheap on eBay. But considering the condition, I'd say they're worth more than the average eBay fodder, plus if you live in the area and can pick them up you'll save on shipping.

You might e-mail the seller and ask if cables and manuals are included, and double-check about software and accessories. Software and accessories for those models are easy to come by, but hunting them down a piece at a time can cost a fortune, $5 at a time.

Good Luck!

Lorne
November 3rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
The printer could be absolutely useless, if it doesn't come with a ribbon that you may be able to re-ink.
I've found that some of the old Tandy printer ribbons (for DMP-105 & 106) are no longer available anywhere.

barythrin
November 3rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
Yeah, printers are one of those things that I really try to avoid collecting just because of the space requirements and the lack of use they usually have. It's kinda crappy just weight wise, awkward storage size and not very stack-able, and the value isn't there in most printers.

I do however notice (contradicting myself) when someone has a complete collection and I see the entire set up on a desk, computer, monitor, software binders, and printer. It looks really awesome when you see the entire setup all on a desk as it would be back in the day.

So I try not to but if it's free or super cheap once and a while I'll do it just for the photo op/collector sense. But really if I had a printer for every system I'd be have serious trouble organizing it all.

moe251
November 8th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I'm new to the whole vintage computer scene and I'm not sure what to offer for each computer. Could I get some advice?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sys/1441890782.html
Hi,

I am also knew to the vintage computer scene. But normally unless the computer is rare I dont spend more that 50/$75/55 Euro

Hope this helps