PDA

View Full Version : Micro Men? my collection

Overkill
November 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Did anyone else watch Micro Men? A film about Clive Sinclair and Chris Curry (Acorn), it was great! but it cost me a fortune because it got me collecting vintage computers :D

In less than 1 month I have:-

1x ZX80 (just won on ebay today :) )
2x ZX81 (my first computer I had, I built it as a kit :inlove:)
1x ZX Spectrum 16K (rubber keyed)
1x ZX Spectrum 48K (rubber keyed)
3x ZX Spectrum +
1x ZX Spectrum 128
1x Sinclair QL (just won on ebay today :) )

I was going to just collect Sinclairs but I got carried away :rolleyes:

1x ZX Spectrum +2 (made by Amstrad)
1x ZX Spectrum +3 (made by Amstrad)
1x Amstrad CPC464 (with colour monitor, this was the second computer I ever had :inlove:)
1x Commodore Amiga 600HD (I had a Amiga 500 and a few others including a 4000 (I think:whatthat: or was it a 3000?) when I was younger.

I've collected most of them on the cheap, buying non-working ones or ones with no boxes or manuals. I've got most of the faulty ones working now though and purched manuals separately.

Thanks for looking! I'm broke now lol :rolleyes:

cosam
November 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I meant to watch Micro Men (we get BBC over here, thank $DEITY) but I went and missed it... I'm sure it's out there on the interwebs somewhere so I can catch up. Hopefully it's not all too vicious in the wallet department as I think I probably have a lot of the machines mentioned ;-)

Welcome to the hobby, and of course the forums!

carlsson
November 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Welcome! I haven't seen Micro Men yet but I have friends who .. acquired it so I can probably get a copy to watch eventually. You have truly built up a nice collection in one month, and as long as you stick to the small sized computers they don't take up too much space neither.

People noticed the BBC Micros have increased in price quite a lot since the TV show. Given how many Sinclairs you've picked up, it seems they haven't become as desired as the Acorns, or perhaps there are so many times more ZX Spectrums than there are Beebs that a price difference won't be noticed.

Overkill
November 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the welcomes, Some of the computers were very cheap, the ZX Spectrum +2 and the Amstrad CPC464 with colour monitor was just 15 each :D

Some of the Spectrum +s were 10 + 4 shipping. But I saw a ZX80 still in kit form sell for 1560 + 12 shipping :shocked: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290360191414&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The ZX81 I bought for 26 for the 2 of them and they both have 16KB RAM packs :D although the person hasn't sent them yet, been waiting 3 weeks :sad:

minty
November 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I certainly watched Micro Men - the ZX80 was the first computer I ever saw, at the impressionable age of 12, and that was it, I was hooked.

You'll all also be amused by what I cycle past every day - please excuse the grainy picture:

http://www.workcircle.co.uk/tony/sinclair.jpg

It's the building at 25 Willis Road mentioned in this article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Research_Ltd - it's now owned by Anglia University, who've rather sweetly shown some respect for its history and named it the 'Sinclair Building', so it keeps the name on the front. If you saw the program, I'm sure you'll recognise it!