PDA

View Full Version : Older Still

woodstock
November 10th, 2009, 07:04 PM
The first machine I ever used was an Olivetti Audit 5. It is classified as a "visible record computer".

I ran my company's accounts on it from 1975 to 1978. It had no monitor :roll: or drives. Account data was stored on magnetic stripped cards the same size as the 80 column punched card and account details were printed on separate ledger cards using an inbuilt high impact golf ball printer. It could produce multi part stationery with ease but was extremely noisy. Standard core was 0.5 KB but could be upgraded to 2 KB.

I have seen no other reference to visible record computers on this forum and am interested to know if any other member has any knowledge or experience with these machines.

I have one photograph of the beast from the Italian version of the Olivetti website if anyone is interested.

MikeS
November 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
The first machine I ever used was an Olivetti Audit 5. It is classified as a "visible record computer".

I ran my company's accounts on it from 1975 to 1978. It had no monitor :roll: or drives. Account data was stored on magnetic stripped cards the same size as the 80 column punched card and account details were printed on separate ledger cards using an inbuilt high impact golf ball printer. It could produce multi part stationery with ease but was extremely noisy. Standard core was 0.5 KB but could be upgraded to 2 KB.

I have seen no other reference to visible record computers on this forum and am interested to know if any other member has any knowledge or experience with these machines.

I have one photograph of the beast from the Italian version of the Olivetti website if anyone is interested.You're right, these machines are largely overlooked by vintage computer folks.

There was a thread a while ago about a Burroughs L7000 and similar machines:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=16743

I programmed and installed similar Burroughs machines for a number of years; they had the mag stripe on the back of the ledger card itself but were similar to the NCR and Olivetti machines. Early 'E' models use core, then moved to a fixed disk memory and finally solid state.

nige the hippy
November 11th, 2009, 02:49 AM
There was a thread quite a while ago, I think "dongfeng" used to own one when he was a baby.
I personally would LOVE (the rest of) an Olivetti P203 - similar, earlier, accoustic memory & "integrated circuit" logic elements built on little pcbs. I have quite a few boards for one, but sadly no memory, or other hardware.

(Anyone near chester UK with the machine these boards came out of ?????)