PDA

View Full Version : Emulator Successful!

Rick Ethridge
June 6th, 2005, 07:15 AM
I occasionally use my green-screen TRS-80 Model 4. My main "stumbling block" was my ability to transfer disk image files to real LS-DOS floppies. I had an old computer to transfer/translate but it died and none could be found to replace it. Recently a neighbor gave me a 40 MHz 486DLC with a very old drive controller. My son found another old computer with an 8 bit 10/100 Intel NIC. I tested David Keil's emulator which works good in spite of not not meeting the minimum clock speed. I replaced the stock drive with a much larger drive and installed Windows 95. It works! Now all I need is more RAM.

vbriel
June 6th, 2005, 02:05 PM
When I used to be addicted to collecting I built a 386 machine with an old half-height 360K drive connected to an Adaptec 1542CP SCSI controller. Yes, SCSI; it has a floppy controller built on the card. This combination is perfect for writing even SD model 1 disks as well as DD disks. I still have my Model 1's but sold off my 3's and 4's a while ago. I've kept my emulation machine laying around because while it runs DK's emu really slow, it is a very good machine for creating real disks!

Vince