:D Does anyone know what settings for the dip switches and any Set
> parameters for the autoexec.bat file for this graphic board from
> 1985-86. I have the origional Time Arts Lumena/8 Plus software that was
> exclusive to this graphic board? Or point me toward someone or some
> place that might have that knowledge?
Jim Cox

crowz
June 15th, 2005, 03:34 AM
A real model number would of been of a little more help in this but heres what I know from what you posted..

Year software came out 1983 Lumena/8 designed and bundle for that card.

So Im guessing were talking circa 1983 here.

Last sales I could find for the bundle was 1987.

Next we find a little history that connects it all...

A new breed of character generator grew out of the emerging PC-based graphics market. A small startup in Cambridge MA, Number Nine, created the first graphics card capable of displaying 256 colors, the "Revolution".

Its ability to display what now seems to be a paltry number of colors launched its own revolution, spawning a new fleet of professional paint, drawing, 3D and animation programs from companies such as Digital Arts, West End Film (Artwork) and Time Arts (Lumena).

-----

So its a revolution it seems...

Id have to say this would have to qualify as a collector item btw:)

Oh and heres what happened to the company btw.

Number Nine was once a pioneer in PC graphics, delivering the first 128-bit graphics accelerator, the first 256-color and 16.8 million-color cards, and four consecutive lines of 128-bit graphics chips and boards. But failure to design its products in compliance with the then-emerging DirectX software interface from Microsoft Corp. crippled the company's OEM sales.

----
They closed thier doors and S3 bought thier assets and then merged with via.

RIP and again Id say that ups its collector value Id guess.

---

When they closed thier doors no one had a backup of the site and its now owned by someone else. So all the drivers and info are gone.

I was able to find a few sites with drivers for newer cards but whats really ashamed is that there isnt any surviving docs and information. Being the first 256 color graphics card should of ranked it up there for someone to of made a site about but I couldnt find anything anywhere.

Spent 4 hours searching and thats about all I can find out. Sorry.

fzrfast
June 15th, 2005, 05:44 AM
:D :D Hey thanks for the effort. I could not give a model number because it does not have one. It simply says Number Nine. It does have dual chips that say NNIOS and a nnios version. I have nnios.sys file and can get some limited responsees but without knowing dip switch settings and how to config and parameter nnios.sys i am grouping in the dark.
Thanks again.
Jim Cox

crowz
June 15th, 2005, 04:31 PM
I found something showing this to be added to the config.sys

device=nnios.sys /m=A000:64

If you use that line as it is make sure the nnios.sys is in the root of your hard drive.

fzrfast
June 15th, 2005, 05:03 PM
:D :) Thanks again. I have tried that but the nnios.sys i have looks for the pepper sgt series of number nine boards, and reports being unable to find a pepper board even though my nine is installed. The one i have i do not think is a pepper version. There may have been a different nnios.sys for the board i have. It is also possible that this board is
simply not fully functional.
Jim Cox