PDA

View Full Version : DOS 1.0 Manual

lear35
June 13th, 2005, 04:17 PM
I have a copy of DOS version 1.0 and my copy of the users manual P/N 6172220 states, Disk Operating System. Now on the other hand there are copys of the user manual with the same P/N but yet they state, Disk Operating System and under that "By Microsoft" Does anyone know why this is? Is there two different copys of DOS 1.0? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Karl

Erik
June 13th, 2005, 05:59 PM
There were two different products: MS-DOS and PC-DOS. The latter was IBM's license while the former was the Microsoft branded item.

I didn't know that MS released 1.0 under their own tag, though. The oldest I remember seeing was 1.1. . .

E

lear35
June 13th, 2005, 06:02 PM
No, I think you've missunderstood. EVERTHING is the same except for the cover page of the manual.

Erik
June 13th, 2005, 07:00 PM
My copy has no mention of Microsoft.

It's part number 6172220 and reads just Disk Operating System with no MS markings.

The entire license agreement is also MS free with IBM mentioned all over the place.

This is the "First Edition (August 1981)" manual.

Erik

lear35
June 13th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Ah, yes. This is what I have as well. Please take a look at this ebay auction. It's over but you can still do a search for it. Item # 7161759612. If you look at the pictures he has posted you will see the cover of the manual with the "By Microsoft" listed. I ask him about this as I have never seen this before on dos version 1.0 but he insists it's the original. The hard cover has a different p/n as well. It just dosen't seem right to me.