PDA

View Full Version : Northern Telecom DV-1 Teleconference Bridge

herenow
November 30th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I have Northern Telecom Meridian MS-1 system in my basement.

Meridian MS-1 is a digital teleconference bridge and belongs to the the Meridian DV-1 family of products.
Manufactured in 1987 it is still in working condition, so you can hold own teleconference if you wish. It is a timeless technological keepsake that comes with its own set of unique bragging rights.

My system is made of four DV-1 towers, filled with DV-1 modules and two M4020 terminals.
I also have plenty of spare modules.

I bought the system in 1991, paid a small fortune for it, but it is time for it to find a better home. I am looking to sell it.

I live in a suburb of Toronto, Canada.

NeXT
December 1st, 2009, 06:47 AM
I'm having a tough time figuring out just how tall it is but if I still lived east of Kitchener I would snap that up in an instant for sheer meridian badassery (and so I could run meridian phones in the house)
Dumb question but what kind of line does it require? I doubt you can just wire on an RJ-11 phone cable and plug it into the wall.

herenow
December 1st, 2009, 09:17 AM
Thank you for the vote of confidence. Badassery of the Merdian DV-1 product line equates this MS-1 to a vintage Harley Davidson.

The question is not so dumb. The DV-1 system was build around a PBX, and so as the result, you can in fact use it as an onsite telephone switch, and connect, oh, I can't remember now, but at least 50 digital phones to it, each with its own 4-digit extension number. In addition, each M4020 terminal is equipped with a phone and telephony display. I have two or three of those.
The CO connection is supported by your average line cards (24 in total) or/and a T1 trunk module. So can you bring up to 48 concurrent external and as many internal callers and hold a teleconference party. Speaking of badassery!

IMHO, most of the cool factor emanates from the look and the feel of the system. Twenty years later I still get that exhilarating spur each time I power the system up, the terminals come alive and prompt me to login. It could be just me, of course.

NeXT
December 2nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Well to the untrained eye it does look like a minicomputer after all.