PDA

View Full Version : 8 inch Bernoulli Box

DimensionDude
June 14th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Hi y'all,

I saw the discussion of Bernoulli Boxes (boxen?) on the For Sale or Trade Forum, thought I'd move my questions here.

Okay, I have a dual 8 inch Bernoulli Box setup in an XT look-alike case. Interface card is 8-bit with a 50-pin header on the card, 37-pin D-connector facing the outside. The card has IOMEGA PC3/PC3B printed on it. I also have the Iomega cable, 1ea 10MB cartridge and 1ea cleaning cartridge with extra unused pad.

I have no idea if it works, haven't found a reference for the jumpers on the interface card. Got some drivers from DriverGuide.com that are supposed to work with any Bernoulli Box.

Also, can anyone tell me if this is a SCSI device?

Is it worth anything? :D

Kent

mbbrutman
June 14th, 2005, 08:04 PM
You know, I think these things are hot. When you consider what they could do and how much they cost back then ...

You need the custom interface card for this model. It's not SCSI. The folklore I've heard is that it is SASI, a predecessor to SCSI. I'm not entirely sure.

Mike

Terry Yager
June 14th, 2005, 10:31 PM
No, it's not SASI either, it's completely proprietary. I got about a dozen or so of the boxes, and 20 or 30 media, but AFAIK, none of the interface cards or cables. (There may be one or two lurking around ComputerHell, but I haven't seen 'em). We used to have some jacked into a couple of the TRS-80 2000s in the museum, but I don't know what became of them. They used to make the interface cards for all kinds of different computers, including Apple ][ and TRS-80 Model II/16 etc. If anybody needs the media, lemme know.

--T

SunDown79
May 31st, 2009, 03:30 PM
If I remember correctly, I got one of these big heavy beast working in a 486 running Windows '95. Think I still have the machine so if you people want I can have a look.

Ole Juul
June 1st, 2009, 01:29 AM
It's interesting to note that the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iomega_Bernoulli_Box) doesn't mention the 8 inch model. Someone who knows about these things should fix that, but perhaps Wikipedia doesn't do such old tech. :p There's information elsewhere on the net.

mbbrutman
July 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Resurrecting an old thread ...

I have an A220H, which has two drives stacked in an external case. This version takes the 20MB cartridges. It looks to be SCSI - I was able to get the device to register, but I don't know how it's going to refer to the two drives. (Does it use the SCSI LUN feature?)

Does anybody have any information about these early Bernoulli Boxes? Detailed information on the web is amazingly scarce.

Chuck(G)
July 11th, 2010, 08:41 PM
On my 90MB drives, the SCSI ID is jumpered on the electronics board. Historically, I think Iomega uses SCSI ID 2 by default, which keeps it out of the path of SCSI controllers (e.g. Adaptec) that like to boot from IDs 0 and 1. There should also be a single LUN jumper on the drive specifying LUN 0 or 1.

I have the technical manual for the Bernoulli 90s.

mbbrutman
July 16th, 2010, 07:45 PM
On my 90MB drives, the SCSI ID is jumpered on the electronics board. Historically, I think Iomega uses SCSI ID 2 by default, which keeps it out of the path of SCSI controllers (e.g. Adaptec) that like to boot from IDs 0 and 1. There should also be a single LUN jumper on the drive specifying LUN 0 or 1.

I have the technical manual for the Bernoulli 90s.

Hi Chuck,

You can see I'm casting my net just a little further. You've already helped me a lot.

In today's mail came a PC2B-50 interface card, a cable, 5" 20MB cartridges, and some owners manuals for a 5" drive. (The actual drive should be arriving tomorrow.) If all goes well I should have this second smaller drive running soon. The PC2B-50 card will also drive the A220 unit, which is what I was posting about. That one uses 8" cartridges which I'm having a hard time finding. It also reported in on the generic SCSI card, but I can't remember how many LUNs it reported.

Resurrecting this old stuff is fun. Like a scavenger hunt, with real money involved!

Mike

james1095
July 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Is there anything custom on the controller cards aside from a BIOS chip? If they're not super complex, it should be relatively straightforward to duplicate one. A lot of old hardware is built around standard 74xx ICs that are still readily available.

mbbrutman
July 28th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I'm not too concerned about the adapter card - it looks like the drive speaks SCSI.

I am blocked by two major problems. First, the eBay seller hasn't shipped the smaller 5" drive, and isn't talking anymore. They sent one box of two, and now I'm stuck on that drive. Second, I can't find media for the big 8" drive. 20MB media in the 8" size isn't available anywhere, except through one seller on eBay who might not have the right description (or item) and wants $200 for it.

Grr.