PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba T1200 options

NathanAllan
June 15th, 2005, 01:46 AM
I recently got a T1200 and really haven't had a chance to play with it but I wanted to ask some questions about it.

It came with a 20mb hdd, but what is DOS 3.3(the os it came with) capable of taking? Much bigger than that? I was also gonna go hunt down the 2mb ram upgrade card/chip for it.

I haven't had a chance to properly open it up yet, does it take an IDE hdd?

It has a 3.5" drive in there and I can put a different laptop drive with an adapter IF it's IDE. The batteries are 3 7/8"x1", three in a series. They look to be powerdrill cells (the same size) and easily replacable. Instead of trying to solder the battery I'll just rig up a spring case to just slip them in.

Any other creative ways to make this thing pull its weight around here?

Nathan

Terry Yager
June 15th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Dos 3.30 is limited to a maximum partition size of 32Mb. Some OEM versions of 3.31 would see larger partition sizes. Compaq DOS 3.31 comes to mind, but there were others too, IIRC. You may be able to replace the drive with a larger one, but keep in mind, some early BIOSs would only see a very limited number of drive types.

Wasn't the 1200 a '286 chip that was tied to an 8-bit bus? If that's the case, then the 2Mb memory will be expanded memory only, not usable as extended (or mebbe a RAMdisk?).

--T

NathanAllan
June 15th, 2005, 03:26 PM
What I've read about it says that the ram can be used as a ramdisk, and I might not want to go o the bother of getting it. I can use a floppy or a partition on the drive.

And I dug around and found a 135mb drive that would be perfect for it if it'll take it. Looked at the specs again, and yes it's an IDE drive, 3.5" form factor. Were there any bios updates for this thing that would let it take a 1.44mb fdd? If not i'm not too worried. I'll have to do some more research on the thing to see if I'll have to partition it. If I do, I have an old 80gb that'll be easier to work with.

Terry Yager
June 15th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Most of the time, something that old won't have a flash BIOS that can be updated.

--T

CP/M User
June 16th, 2005, 02:13 PM
"NathanAllan" wrote:

> What I've read about it says that the ram can be used as a ramdisk,
> and I might not want to go o the bother of getting it. I can use a floppy
> or a partition on the drive.

> And I dug around and found a 135mb drive that would be perfect for it if
> it'll take it. Looked at the specs again, and yes it's an IDE drive, 3.5"
> form factor. Were there any bios updates for this thing that would let it
> take a 1.44mb fdd? If not i'm not too worried. I'll have to do some more
> research on the thing to see if I'll have to partition it. If I do, I have an
> old 80gb that'll be easier to work with.

Yes, DOS 3.3 will work with a 1.44mb floppy disk drive - it was that particularly DOS which added the support for it. As for the Hard Disk, yes, DOS 3.3 takes 32Mb partitions - but if you really wanted that OS - you could seperate the partitions into 32Mb partitions. Some people once told me that OS was quite faultless, but personally I've used DOS 5.0 without any hitches - just don't get DOS 4.x! ;-)

CP/M User.

NathanAllan
July 3rd, 2005, 10:18 AM
I found a place that has a hard to get interface card for the computer I have been working with (and other people likely own and want cool parts).

For those of you that are interested in getting this card, here's the info and contact info:

Netstream International, Inc.
1800 10th Street
Suite 400
Plano, Texas 75074 USA
websales@trademoon.com
Tel: (972) 633-0101
Fax: (972) 633-3988

Part Number Description Condition Quantity Quoted Pice
PA7312E Toshiba Exp. Interface f/T1200 New 1 $8.00

Not sure if it's a typo or what, but there are two parts, the one above with "E" and then another with "ER" and I can't really tell if they are the same.

blink
May 8th, 2006, 07:19 AM
NathanAllen,

Looks like I'm late for a few years!

I've got a Toshiba Dynabook J3100SS - the Japanese version of the T1200 or T1100. The battery is dead.

The battery pack is supposed to be the same as that used by T1200. I'm not sure how to open the battery pack. Do you have a photo of the opened battery pack or where to cut it open?

I recently got a T1200 and really haven't had a chance to play with it but I wanted to ask some questions about it.

It has a 3.5" drive in there and I can put a different laptop drive with an adapter IF it's IDE. The batteries are 3 7/8"x1", three in a series. They look to be powerdrill cells (the same size) and easily replacable. Instead of trying to solder the battery I'll just rig up a spring case to just slip them in.

Any other creative ways to make this thing pull its weight around here?

Nathan