PDA

View Full Version : Is there ANY trustable shipping company?!?!?

Mad-Mike
June 17th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Maybe someone's already ranted about this, but it's really beginning to piss me off how it seems that no single parcel shipping company can send anything without either damaging it or getting the address wrong!

I'm just upon the edge of moving to a better state, and now I get an E-mail back on one of my auctions saying an XT Clone I rebuilt was damaged in shipping by the USPS! It looks like it was hit with the truck!!!
So now I'm going to have to stay a little bit until I get this worked out. To make matters worse, I shipped the monitor the same day, and it has not shown up. If I knew this was going to happen, I would have just left it be. It pisses me off that I get to see a years worth of work get damaged all because some stupid moron with the postal service can't seem to be careful. If my weak "non-exercising" self can carry a computer around without damage, then someone who handles packages all day can too.

Pictures of Damaged Computer
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/executioner020983/ebay1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/executioner020983/ebay3.jpg

And if that's not all, I bougt that same computer off of E-bay a year ago, the package was shipped off in a brand new box with UPS, when it arrived, the entire box was leaking foam peanuts, the zip ties that were installed were coming loose, and the box was literally falling apart, all the while mom was chuckling at what a piece of crap I must have bought. Apparently, these people in the shipping biz suffer from another form of CRS - "Can't Read Shit!". If it can stand that in a leaking box with just foam peanuts, several layers of bubble wrap should have kept it in great condition. So it seems I can't trust UPS either.

And then even worse horrors go out to Federal Express. Within the same week, I bought a new-old-stock XT clone chassis from a surplus auction and mom bought some "kitty stairs". Come almost 3 weeks later me and mom are out driving all over town and the neighboring town looking for our packages on the doorsteps to homes on blocks with same or similar names. 2 Days after wasting all that gasoline looking for our packages, I find they were left on the doorstep of the nice old lady's house up the street, whom NEVER goes outside. So in one way, our stuff could have been stolen by miscrients, on the other hand, if they landed on someone elses doorstep, they could have taken the stuff in and kept it just to be mean. Good thing I found it! To add insult to injury, we asked Fed Ex if they had seen them, tracking said they had arrived at the destination 2 days before we even looked for them, so we called up Fed Ex and asked them to talk with the driver or whoever, and they said they could not because they "hire independant contractors to deliver the packages". So f***, I can't use USPS because they destroy everything (including an XT and a Printer, maybe a monitor, and wonders don't cease how they managed not to destroy a $136.00 guitar), UPS stuff almost always arrives looking like someone took a belt sander to the box and then dropped it out of a plane, and Federal Express, s***, you can't even trust them to deliver to the FRIGGIN RIGHT HOUSE! And when they don't, you're on your own.

Is there any other shipping service out there, preferrably one that can actually ship stuff without destroying it or sending it to the wrong house? It pisses me off because I tend to ship stuff everywhere both for business and to loved ones (mostly computer related), and it irritates the heck out of me that not one single service I know of will ship anything.

All I know is this means I'm no longer selling anything on E-bay or being able to even GIVE anything away for awhile, because the rat bastards who ship the stuff can't be trusted. I'm not angry at the good postal employees, but jeezuz, it seems like they are like many public workers, the few bad ones make enough trouble to ruin it for everybody.

Terry Yager
June 18th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Wow! That's one ****ed-up computer all right. Looks like after they hit it with that truck, they dropped er into reverse and backed over it again a couple of times.
I've had pretty good luck with most shippers, except for a recent bad experience with FedEx (right, Erik?). I did have a recent UPS delivery scheduled for a Friday, and they never came to the door. I called the local office, and they told me that the driver's lying ass reported that he attempted to deliver the package and no one answered the door. I ended up having to hurry up and drive down to thier office before they closed, because I needed the package for a birthday party the next day, and couldn't wait until Monday for delivery. When I got there, they couldn't find the package till they'd searched eash truck as it was returning for the night. Seems the original driver had passed the package off to another driver who was going out my way. No wonder stuff gets misplaced/lost!
It's important to pay the extra cost for insurance, if the contents are worth anything. Even that doesn't help when they break or lose an irreplacable vintage computer tho.

--T

carlsson
June 18th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Maybe the USPS delivery man was a Mac-holist who raged with fury at something that looked like an IBM PC.

CP/M User
June 18th, 2005, 03:56 PM
"carlsson" wrote:

> Maybe the USPS delivery man was a Mac-holist who raged with fury at
> something that looked like an IBM PC.

Bad Luck with the Computer. Personally, I haven't order anything of this
magitude in case something happened to it. Of course you can have the
Insurance, but as Terry Said - if it's somthing hard to replace what can
you do?

As for the main question of the Topic - it's hard to say if there are any
shipping companies who have a clean record in terms of undamaged
deliveries.

CP/M User.

Erik
June 18th, 2005, 04:42 PM
I usually prefer FedEx ground because they are least likely to screw up. USPS is the worst with UPS following closely behind. I've heard stories from both that make your shipment look like a success.

I tried an independant shipper (freight company) a while back with a chicklet PET that ended up looking like it had been dragged behind the truck from the East to West coast.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, will treat your stuff like you do. The only recourse is to double-box with the absolute best packaging possible.

BTW, I've learned that peanuts are worthless in the inner box when shipping computers. The only place I use them is between the inner and outer boxes when I do double box.

E

Mad-Mike
June 19th, 2005, 02:23 AM
When I got there, they couldn't find the package till they'd searched eash truck as it was returning for the night. Seems the original driver had passed the package off to another driver who was going out my way. No wonder stuff gets misplaced/lost!
It's important to pay the extra cost for insurance, if the contents are worth anything. Even that doesn't help when they break or lose an irreplacable vintage computer tho.

--T

Good thing you mentioned that as that's what the customer wants me to do on my end is ask what happened at my shipping company. I have severe doubts that they'll know anything. It sounds like I'm going to have to refund him the $30.99, which sucks hardcore since that's the money I'm using to move we're talking about here. I know this much, I may mistrust and dislike Federal Express due to the New/Old stock XT case incident, but it looks like that's my only choice since I'll be shipping an old EGA monitor this time with the card (hopefully the last thing I'm shipping off). At this point, I'm no longer selling computers on E-bay, the shipping is just too risky, I think I'll stick to local business, that is, until I can justify using a WOODEN CRATE to ship my computers in (just kidding, though it would be kinda nifty gatewayish move in a way).

Donni
June 19th, 2005, 11:56 PM
I know how you feel.
I get frustrated with parcel shipping companies too.
In the last couple of years i have had several packages that looked like a truck had run over it, and one package i never received.
Last vryday a shipping company tried to deliver a package to me, but i was not at home.
So what do they do? They put in on my doorstep for everybody to see (or take).
I'm going to file a complaint today. It's useless i know, but what else can you do.

carlsson
June 20th, 2005, 01:46 AM
I almost never buy or sell things that need shipping, but at work we get a fair share of DHL, UPS, Post and other packages. There are at least 10 different companies in our house, and most of the packages are meant for a neighbour company where no one is in the office at the moment. We get to sign the delivery receipt and wait for the receiving company to pick up their packages. I wonder if those shipping companies have the same relaxed attitude if delivering to individuals, that instead of leaving your package outside the door, on purpose deliver it to the nearest neighbour that happens to be at home. They seem very reluctant to bring packages back to the terminal for the customer to pick it up there. One wonders if there is a problem in communication between the shipping company and the customer when it suits to deliver the package. One also wonders how you can run a company when the office most of the time is abandoned.

Mad-Mike
June 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
Well, it seems to be getting a little bit better. I've refunded the money, I read up on the rules of the USPS and found I MIGHT be able to get a refund on shipping. The buyer says he plans to send the computer back to me oddly enough. However, the USPS gorillas damaged the monitor too as it turns out, it was damaged enough that he said it would probably not be a good idea to turn it on.

The upside is the computer IS somewhat salvageable, if I can fix up an AT into a Micro-ATX, fixing that little bent up corner will be a breeze. However, if I do take it back, I may spend awhile to find an IDE/Floppy controller with it's own BIOS so I can use High Density media and IDE hard disks on the computer this time (ST-506 is not that durable I'm afraid), and install a VGA adapter while I'm at it.

carlsson
June 22nd, 2005, 12:18 AM
The good thing about computers get smaller (like mini-ITX) is that packages also get smaller and are easier to handle by the shipping companies. Of course, they can smash even the smallest package if they insist.

You should construct a really heavy, armoured computer case that is indestructable. :)

Mad-Mike
June 22nd, 2005, 09:05 AM
Actually, anything new treated the same way as the XT clone was would probably been in much worse condition.

As for an indestructable PC, I already have one....this one....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/executioner020983/gem1.jpg

Believe it or not, it's been dropped on the floor twice from 4+ feet, once or twice while it was running nonetheless (weak crappy desk I was using at one time collapsed right under it). Also, an idiot stoner "friend" came over one time while I was doing some upgrades, the inner chassis fell 3 feet to the floor and landed upside-down, and then the 24 LB upright vacuum cleaner landed on it and put a dent in the bottom in the middle of teh motherboard's general area. Talk about tough, all this plus a ton of scars, quite a bit of cat hair (cleaned out 6-12 month intervals). For a custom machine, it's sure earned it's meddle. And don't even get me into the Micro-ATX conversion, let's just say conventional Black & Decker power tools have trouble making the rear cutouts on this thing. The steel seems to be the same kind they use on lawn mower decks.

tvdog
August 16th, 2005, 09:37 AM
I agree with the original poster. I've had FedEx lose a package sent to me. I've also had them deliver someone else's package to me. I called FedEx to ask them to come pick it up, but they never did. I eventually took it over myself. So if you want the package actually to get there, don't use FedEx.

I agree about USPS as well. They usually deliver stuff, but ... remember the Samsonite commercial with the monkeys throwing the suitcase around? I swear they all work for the postal service now.

I think UPS is the best of the "big 3," but that may just be because I like the UPS lady.

Terry Yager
August 16th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I think UPS is the best of the "big 3," but that may just be because I like the UPS lady.

I kinda like the FedEx lady. Whenever she comes to the door, she has a pocketfull of MilkBonez for my (4) little dogs.

OTOH, the Mail Lady noted the other day that my neighbors are beginning to talk, cause her truck stops here so often...

Oh, BTW, the "Big Three" are actually the Big Two. FedEx has been owned by USPS for some time now.

--T