PDA

View Full Version : Something mildly related to Vintage Computers.

CP/M User
June 20th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Interesting to discover that while I listen to this Zombies CD (not sure if there UK or US - which had the hits She's Not There, Tell Her No & the Time of the Season single which was on the Odyssey And Oracle album after the group broke up), in a Newspaper Article (which came with the Odyssey And Oracle album booklet) about the Group Breaking up what they were going to do. It mentions here that Paul Atkinson (the Guitarist from that group) taking a post in computer. This article was dated 1968. It makes me wonder if their still alive as to what they think about computers in this period. Certainally not like Computers back in 1968 which pre-date OSes Unix, CP/M. I'm guess they would have used a PDP based machine.

I had an interesting conversation with someone at some point about some of the technologies they used when they used to used computers - it's also funny how you'd talk to people from younger generations - some of the old hardware they haven't even heard of - guess it's not really important from users point-of-view, but different from historicans point-of-view.

But just getting back to Paul, I'm guessing people like him would have been crossing over into Micros, using IBMs perhaps, it's a bit confusing what happened when Micros became the thing - Mini's & Mainframes would still of been of use though.

CP/M User.

thefoolonthehill
January 5th, 2006, 03:51 PM
it's also funny how you'd talk to people from younger generations - some of the old hardware they haven't even heard of.

It's funny you say that... I'm 12 years old and I talk to people my age who don't even know what an NES or even what Windows 3.1 is like!

In fact my mom doesn't even know what an NES is! Though she did use Win 3.1 in its day.

Terry Yager
January 5th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Wow! You're only 12?!?!?! I'd somehow mistaken you for some kinda old-skool hacker...

--T

NathanAllan
January 5th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Cool! I'm sure glad you like old computers. It's great knowing where the new ones came from by knowing the old ones. Actually, sounds a lot like myself. I started pretty young by working on old (then) computers.

I think it's great that you like the oldschool stuff!

CP/M User
January 5th, 2006, 09:53 PM
"thefoolonthehill" wrote:

> it's also funny how you'd talk to people from younger
> generations - some of the old hardware they haven't even heard of.

Well, I guess it's not all that important - until they start talking 'bout what they know or what they -think- they know.

> It's funny you say that... I'm 12 years old and I talk to people my age
> who don't even know what an NES or even what Windows 3.1 is like!

Persumibly I think NES was the original console for the Super Mario Brothers Games (not to be confused with the persumibly "original" Mario Brothers game for the 2600 - but certainally they did have Donkey Kong! ;-)

It would be like asking me what an early computer game is - hence Spacewar! developed in the early 1960s on a PDP-1 but distributed across many platforms with many variations - it's literally Public Domain I believe. Upto a couple of years ago I wouldn't have heard of this. Only found out from some book I had which talked about it.

> In fact my mom doesn't even know what an NES is! Though she did use
> Win 3.1 in its day.

Yeah sorta the common breakthrough - but then there's DOS! ;-) Which was well used back then as well.

CP/M User.

Vlad
January 6th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I don't remember the machines we used, but when I finally got into computers I started with DOS 3.30 and worked up through 3.0, 3.11, 95,98SE, then XP, then back to 2000 Pro, the back to XP, the to Unix and Linux, then back to XP then I settled at Linux. Who knows where Ill end up next?

ribbets
January 6th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I do remember one of the questions from my A+ Test

Where would you find a Linear Worm ?

1. Winchester Drive/ RLL Drive and MFM Drive
2. Floppy Drive 5.25"
3. A + B
4. None of the above

No mention of virus wayyyyyyy!!! back then.[/quote]