PDA

View Full Version : Vintage price tags ... leave them on, or peel them off?

Kerosene
December 10th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Just wondering what everyone else does with vintage price tags?
Do you leave them on, or peel them off?

I got some VIC-20 stuff today, and half the fun of owning these things is seeing how much it originally cost.

http://i48.tinypic.com/etf68k.jpg

carlsson
December 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I would probably leave the price tags in place, but I know many of my collecting friends strive towards removing them even if the tags have been there for 20 years. However it can be a difficult process to remove a tag without damaging the case. Most probably it will leave a stain anyway, which degrades the general condition.

Ole Juul
December 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Think of it as editing a historical document - or not.

Leave them on if you want museum quality. I don't get why people clean off all the stickers and stuff on monitors and system units. Those are historical items to me. They show how it was and give insight into how people used, treated, and lived with, the items in question. Future museums are probably going to have a hard time putting on a realistic display because they won't be able to get the things like price stickers and cutesy things that secretaries, kids, and others had on their stuff back then. Much gets lost because of people's penchant for cleaning up the world. I'm for "truth in history."

Unknown_K
December 11th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I leave them on because you will harm the box trying to remove them anyway. I do remove much new sharpie markings (thrift stores love using them for pricing) and sticker tags since they tend to come off easier and not leave any marks.

barythrin
December 11th, 2009, 10:16 AM
As most the others I just leave them on. If it's an original price tag it's pretty sweet and part of the documentation or history of the device. If it's a yard-sale tag I'd be more inclined not to have it on the box but again it's difficult to remove without harming the painted cardboard box and I'd certainly feel a lot worse having a torn box.

nige the hippy
December 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM
A 200 price tag on a modem card tells a story in itself. Provenance is important in the art world.

tezza
December 11th, 2009, 12:31 PM
With me it depends. If I can remove it safely with no damage to the item I usually do. If it looks as if it might leave some damage though I'll just leave it.

Tez

Chuckster_in_Jax
December 11th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I leave them on if it's on the top, side or back of a computer. If it's a box I definitely leave it on.

NathanAllan
December 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I leave them on most of the time. If they're on plastic then they can go, but if they're on a label like a game cart or cardboard, they stay. I messed up an otherwise perfect copy of Street Fighter II SCE label that way.

telengard
December 15th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I leave them on. Just adds to that nice nostalgic feeling. I have some nice Caldor, K-Mart, Target, and other tags on some of my old computer boxes/books.

~telengard