PDA

View Full Version : Weather

toro
December 17th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Can you believe this ?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/poroporo/cold.jpg

We're freezing already ! I might have to wear gloves inside...

This sucks.

Ole Juul
December 17th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I DID have to wear gloves one day last week because it was only 6C (43F) by my chair! It's a sweltering -1C outside now and a pleasant 13 where I'm sitting. The problem is that when it warms up it snows - but at least that's just outside. :)

Chuck(G)
December 17th, 2009, 01:10 PM
When it gets cold down here, we blame it on Canada (last week we had a couple of nights when the temp got down to -10C). Now (and for the next week or so), it's just raining.

Unknown_K
December 17th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I think 10F is about as cold as we got recently, but we had a very warm November.

Lorne
December 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
That and this, is why I now live, where I do.

Chuckster_in_Jax
December 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
You're going to hate me for this. Under Forecast Center, click on next 8 days.

http://jacksonville.justweather.com/

Ole Juul
December 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM
You're going to hate me for this. Under Forecast Center, click on next 8 days.

http://jacksonville.justweather.com/
If that's anything like the forecasts Environment Canada has been coming out with for this area, then it wouldn't even qualify as useless. :) They used to be pretty good on temperature forecasting, within a degree or two, but recently they are off by more than 10 in either direction! I'm guessing they got talked into some new Microsoft dotNet solution written by the guy who wrote the progress bar code.

Micom 2000
December 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I have been recording daily temperatures relating to a project to use passive solar heating in this very sunny area to possibly take advantage of my highly-windowed enclosed structures to lower heating bills. It has a 2 story balcony, a sun-room, and a lean-to type greenhouse. My house locally is called "The Glass House". :^)

We've just gone thru a cold snap in Western Canada. I take my readings around noon every day, so they reflect the daily HI. The LO temperatures at night of course can be up to double these readings. The western canadian members of the forum like those in Saskatoon and Regina, Winnipeg, or in Alberta and I imagine Minneapolis have all been shivering thru the same freezing temperatures. We're a fairly tough breed up here, because the cold kills off the weak ones young. :^)

Below are the HIs from Dec 7-15. Before the southern members start gloating too much, remember that our summer temperatures are much more livable here. I have no real need for an air-conditioner. In summer I shade the interior windows and open all the windows for cool breezes.

The readings are in Centigrate.

Dec 7 -19, 12/8 -21, 12/9 -20, 12/10 -18, 12/11 -18, 12/12 -24, 12/13 -22, 12/14 -21, 12/15 -20.

Today it is a balmy -8 and my less-protected water-pipes have thawed out.

And a merry Winterfest to all.

Lawrence

Mr.Amiga500
December 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
@toro

You need to find something fun to do that requires cold weather. I used to hate winters - so much that I was planning on permanently moving to Australia or New Zealand. Then I started cross-country skiing. Now, I can't wait for cold weather - the colder the better. I'm even thinking of moving farther north. The main thing is to dress for the cold - fleece... and lots of it.

Since this thread is in the "Rants" section (and your post wasn't much of a rant), I hope you don't mind if I rant a bit...

Here are two things I HATE: opinionated meteorologists and the idea that meteorologists somehow make the weather!

Here's a typical stupid weather person comment, "Tomorrow I've got a beautiful day for you, sunny and hot, hot, hot! It's going all the way up to 33 degrees (C). Unfortunately, a storm system moves in after that and we've got some terrible weather on the way. It's going to cool off to 22. Sorry for the bad weather, Bill." Then, Bill (news anchor guy) says, "Well, at least you're giving us the good weather tomorrow. Try to keep the bad weather away next time." (followed by stupid, insincere laughing)

Why can't they just tell the weather instead of making an opinion?? I hate sunny, "hot, hot, hot" days. Those are "bad" days for me. I LOVE storms - so that is a "good" day for me. Just say the frigging weather and let ME decide whether it's bad or good! And stop all that moronic chit-chat!

OK, rant over. :)

Zachary
December 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I agree. If it were always a bright, sunny, hot "beautiful day", we wouldn't even be alive.

Mr.Amiga500
December 20th, 2009, 09:06 AM
(I'd like to rant again... if you don't mind.)

I hate how every time we get snow, it is now called a "storm". When did that happen? A snow storm used to be an unusually large amount of snow - like a blizzard with high winds, white-out conditions and/or at least 30 cm of snow. Now, any bit of snow is called a storm. I heard a weather person talk about a "winter storm" coming, then he says accumulation could be 2-5 cm. They have stupid "Storm Watch" logos with dramatic music, as if 2-5 cm of snow is somehow very scary. What the hell? Are they going to start calling every tiny little bit of precipitiation a "storm" now?

(OK, this rant is over too... until the next time... :))

tezza
December 20th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Well, I live in New Zealand where it's SUPPOSE to be summer. In fact it is the longest day today, However a general El Nino weather pattern (meaning lots of westerly winds) and my particular geographical location (which funnels those said westerly winds through a low point in the mountains) means summer feels far removed!

I guess midday temperatures of 20 degrees C is not TOO bad but when you combine that with constant wind and rain almost every day summer seems a long way off!!

Tez

Raven
December 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM
It snowed two feet here, which is RIDICULOUSLY LOTS for my location.

Chuckster_in_Jax
December 21st, 2009, 07:04 AM
I knew just as soon as I made the post of how nice it was in North Florida I'd jinx myself. Sure enough, temperatures plunged to the coldest of the season.

tipc
December 24th, 2009, 03:43 PM
tell that to the people down unda. Or all along the equator.

in parts of our big beautiful planet it does stay *sunny* for months.

Chromedome45
January 7th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Heck there calling for a chance of Snow flurries for Friday night Saturday morning and I live near Orlando! What the heck is going on here. Global warming my ass... Look out Chuckster ya might get a foot of the stuff :p