PDA

View Full Version : Atari 1040STf.

Tupin
December 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Just picked up one of these off of Craigslist with a FA.ST harddrive, SC1224 monitor, and around 50 disks for $25. One problem. No cable to connect the computer to the monitor, both have a standard female-13 connector, so I need a cable with male connectors on both sides. Any idea where I can find them?

Micom 2000
December 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Best electronics should have them.

www.best-electronics-ca.com/

Lawrence

NathanAllan
December 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I have a spare here if you want to trade something. Got any vintage gaming stuff? Carts for anything? Looking for Atari 8-bit carts, currently, or C= carts, too.

NathanAllan
December 17th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I have a spare here if you want to trade something. Got any vintage gaming stuff? Carts for anything? Looking for Atari 8-bit carts, currently, or C= carts, too.
Just checked and I don't have spare monitor cables, I have a spare floppy drive cable. So I'll have to withdraw that offer, sorry about that (could have sworn it was a monitor cable!).

Best has them, that's for sure. Talk to them nicely on the phone and they'll tell you what they have that's *not* listed (got a really cool Terminal cart this way).

Nathan

Tupin
December 18th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Turns out the person I got the computer from simply forgot to put the cable in their car when I met them, I'm going to get it tomorrow, hopefully. :p

One question, though. Does this have TOS built in or do I need a disk? I hope to set it up with the harddrive I got with it, thankfully it came with those install disks.

NathanAllan
December 18th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Good to hear about the cable (still sorry I offered what I didn't have). TOS ought to be built in, all of mine have it. You can enhance the OS with disks, though, iirc. I don't have a hard disk for mine, and it might boot to that and have something really nifty on it.

Hope everything works!! I know of one 720K SMD-300 floppy drive if you ever want to go that route (I'm sellign one).

Nathan

Micom 2000
December 19th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Tos is built-in and you have 1meg of ram. You are very fortunate to have a hard disk for it. That alone would sell for more than what you paid for the whole system. Depending on it's capacity and whether it was attached with an adapter you might find the driver disk you got with it unsatisfactory in the long term, but there are newer HD drivers available for it.

Lawrence

Tupin
December 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Drove for about an hour just to pick up the cable today, it all works! Took me a while to get the boot cycle down, but I've got some pretty good games, plus, a lot of DD floppy disks. Do I format them with Windows, copy a file to them, and then put them in my ST to run them? Is there a way to use 1.44MB disks?

Oh, and my mouse had no roller ball, and a standard one appears to be too small for the ST mouse. Am I correct in thinking this?

Also, I can use HDDriver to install my harddisk, right?

jens
December 19th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Also, I can use HDDriver to install my harddisk, right
As your FA.ST drive seems to be an ICD item it should work. ICD has always pretty much kept to Atari standard. :-)
But with only one meg of RAM I'd think about this, as I believe HdDriver uses more ram than the ICD drivers.

Tupin
December 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I guess I'll download the original driver, but how do I get them to my ST via a floppy?

NathanAllan
December 20th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Lemme remember...

Format a disk on the ST (unless you have a floppy readable/writable already for the ST), then the PC ought to be able to read and write to it.

You can also use ghostlink (or ghoslink) to transfer files over a serial port null modem cable to the hdd (if that's not right please someone correct me, my ST hardware is not being used right now, not fresh on my mind).

This is what I would try, the serial null modem or the 720k disk.

Nathan

Tupin
December 20th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I have DD disks, and they give me an error when I try to format them on the ST.

NathanAllan
December 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Is there a hole on the opposite side of the write/no write slot? I think you have to cover it with tape.

Google is your friend on this one, lots of resources out there, lots of blogs and how-to's.

Also your fdd might be not functional. I have one out of maybe 15 over time so far that have worked.

Micom 2000
December 21st, 2009, 05:21 PM
Yeah, the ST floppy drives were their biggest fault. They are an old medium however and I resurected several of them not too long ago by dismantling them and cleaning and regreasing the drive rails. The grease does harden over time and that throws out their timing. On occasion it could be the fdd chip on the ST. Sts are notorious for loose chips.
A common fix was to drop them on a hard surface from about 18". A better fix is to remove seated chips and reseat them firmly in their sockets.

I have used 2SHD disks with them, but they are not reliable. Unlike 5.25 disks you don't have to cover the hole.

There is really no great problem downloading them to your PC (I don't know about newer PC systems). I merrily downloaded many,many programs to my PC even on HD floppies and then transferred them to my ST. The only caveat was to use an STzip program to open them.

Lawrence

Is there a hole on the opposite side of the write/no write slot? I think you have to cover it with tape.

Google is your friend on this one, lots of resources out there, lots of blogs and how-to's.

Also your fdd might be not functional. I have one out of maybe 15 over time so far that have worked.