PDA

View Full Version : Two Games - Need Help!

Raven
December 29th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I have been trying to get two games running on my T6600C for about a week now, with little success.

The first is MOO2 (Master of Orion II). This is a fairly late DOS game, but will run easily on my hardware specs. When I tried to install it, it asked for VESA.COM - I got around this by installing it on another machine under DOSBOX and copying the result back. This still asked for VESA.COM. I eventually found the VESA drivers for my machine, and then it errored on DOS/4GW saying that it was dividing by zero. I tried replacing DOS/4GW stub with DOS32A, same error - so it's the code itself, which makes no sense. I tried patching to various patch levels, including 1.31 and the unofficial 1.40 - same errors.

The second game is Jazz Jackrabbit. The version I am trying is the CD version. I install it, no issues, run setup, choose sound blaster, it detects my blaster variable, all is well, and then I go to run the game. It says "Please run SETUP.EXE to configure your sound card". I press any key and it dumps me back to DOS. All SB-related settings do this. It has no Adlib setting. I tried pro audio spectrum and that crashes (my card isn't compatible, just wanted to know what would happen). The only setting that lets me into the game is PC Speaker - which works, but it sucks horribly as half the fun of Jazz Jackrabbit is the awesome music.

This is all with SB compatibility drivers running btw.

I though that my problem was usin DOS 7.10, but I just set things up with DOS 6.21 and am having the same problems.

digger
December 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
UniVBE and SciTech Display Doctor were eventually released as freeware since they were becoming less relevant in the Windows era. However, these tools are still valuable for improving VESA compatibility on many (S)VGA cards in DOS.

Unfortunately, the official download and FTP sites were taken off-line after SciTech was acquired by another company.

However, the Vogons forum has links to mirrors were you can still obtain these utilities. Give them a try. Perhaps they will work with the VGA controler in your T6600C, which should at least help with MOO2.

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=15190

Good luck! :)

EDIT: I just realized I hit the 100-post mark with this reply, officially making me a "Senior Member". Woohoo! :happy3:

Raven
December 29th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Unfortunately already used the VOGONS links and tried both of those, and a few others, all of which didn't work. The only drivers that work are the WD ones, but the game errors at divide by zero after bypassing the VESA error.