PDA

View Full Version : Best Mac for...

lyonadmiral
December 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM
What would be the best Mac to use with an Apple IIe card and the PowerCD?

Unknown_K
December 29th, 2009, 05:54 PM
LC III would be a good common and small unit to install it in (make sure you have the needed cabled).

Anonymous Freak
December 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, any of the older beige Macs would work great. If you can find one, a Quadra 605 would be a nice small machine (same basic footprint as the LC III, but with a more powerful processor.) A Quadra 700 might be good, too. Fairly small footprint, and built-in Ethernet (although you'd need an AAUI-to-10BaseT adapter.)

One warning on the PowerCD: It requires the custom PowerCD driver, it won't work with the standard Apple CD driver.

lyonadmiral
December 30th, 2009, 03:56 AM
So what do you think would be the best monitor to go with said best Mac? Could a VGA monitor hooked up with the DB15 to VGA15 adapter be used?

Unknown_K
December 30th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I don't think a Quadra 700 has the LC PDS slot (Quadra PDS is different) so the IIe card will not work.

Yes you can use the DB15 to VGA adapters (on the video end of the IIe cable), just dont expect better then VGA from a LC type machine with built in video (and you need the mac video end to connect the IIe cable to).

Anonymous Freak
December 30th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Whoops, somehow missed that it was a IIe card; thought he meant to use along with a real physical IIe.

Yeah, an LC III would be the best; and if you can find the old matching 13" 640x480 display, that would be even better. (Or even the 12" display, if you don't mind the lower 512x384 resolution.)

lyonadmiral
December 30th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Where would be the best place to find that old 13" display, what would I look for in terms of marketing name if I wanted to look on eBay?

lyonadmiral
December 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
One last thing, does anyone know what model keyboard/mouse the LC III came with?

hmbrew
December 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I have an old apple monitor. It's a little over 13" and it has a maximum resolution of 1024x768 according to Wikipedia.

It's the "apple multiple scan 15 display".

If that will work for you, there's a possibility that I could ship it to you at the price of shipping, but I would also like some sort of apple ][ accessory (or any small electronic tidbits) for my time in that case. I won't be picky about that.

PM me about it if you think that would work well for you. I cannot guarantee that I could ship to you it in a hurry, but I wouldn't slack off about it either.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken, it shipped with the "Apple Keyboard II" (M0487) and the corresponding "Apple Desktop Bus Mouse II".

Unknown_K
December 30th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Anything ADB will work on an LCIII. There are a few 13" 640x480 monitors out there. I have one that is Apple brand, another that is Labled MIRROR and is a PC monitor with a VGA to Mac video adapter. 13" monitors are small enough that shipping charges are not too bad.

If you cannot find any locally (they are kind of old) let me know and I might sell one of mine (I have a bunch of ADB keyboards and mice as well).

Old Thrashbarg
December 31st, 2009, 09:29 AM
To answer the earlier question, yeah, you can use any VGA monitor with the little DB15->HD15 adapter. I made my own out of a scrap VGA cable, but if I were to do it again I'd just spend the $4 on a premade adapter with the DIP switches.

dorkbert
December 31st, 2009, 09:48 AM
If you prefer an all-in-one system, you can also couple the IIe card with a Color Classic.

Anonymous Freak
December 31st, 2009, 11:36 AM
I also have *PLENTY* of spare keyboards and mice, if you need one. (Although U_K is closer to you.)

The monitors I was thinking of are the "Apple Macintosh 12-Inch RGB Display (http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/classic_monitors/specs/apple_mac_12_rgb.html)" (512x384, but VERY compact (http://media.photobucket.com/image/Apple%20Basic%20Color%20Monitor/dbarovian/MacLCIII.jpg),) or the "Apple Macintosh Color Display (http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/classic_monitors/specs/apple_mac_color_disp.html)" (640x480, same age as the above-mentioned, still very compact (http://myoldmac.net/SELL/apple-monitor-display.htm).) These both have the benefit that the front curve is the same as on the LC III, so they look very 'sleek' on it. (Apple released a "Basic Color Monitor" at the same time as the LC III, but it's more 'chunky', with its stand being a plain square. Even though my first linked picture (the word "compact" on the 12-Inch RGB,) claims to be the "Basic Color Monitor", it is really the 12-Inch RGB.

If you prefer an all-in-one system, you can also couple the IIe card with a Color Classic.

Wow, I didn't know that! And it works normally? Dang...... I have a IIe card in one of my LC's, I may have to throw it in my Color Classic instead!

olePigeon
January 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
Apple lists the following as compatible:

Color Classic, LC, LC II, III & III+; LC 475, 520, 550, 575; Quadra 605, and Performa 4XX, 52X, 55X, 56X, and 57X.

However, of the lot, I would recommend the Quadra 605. With the exception of the 575, it is probably the fastest of the group and can hold the most memory (136MB with a 128MB 72-pin SIMM.) It is low profile and an excellent 68k machine.

The LC era 68k machines originally shipped with the model M0487 Apple Keyboard II and model G5431 Apple Desktop Bus Mouse.

eBay can be a good place to find a CRT, but you'll pay through the nose in shipping. A good place to look (if they allow it) is an Electronics Recycler, Good Will, or Salvation Army.

saundby
January 3rd, 2010, 11:36 PM
The 605 is a sweet system--I've still got the one that was my code dev workstation for years. It works great with the PowerCD, I've never used it with a IIe card, I used a real one, myself.

lyonadmiral
January 4th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Well I picked up an LC III off of ebay last week, although from what I am hearing maybe I should have waited for the Quadra 605. I'm negotiating with some of my peeps here on VC to get a keyboard, mouse, and Apple display. I do have a PowerCD to use with it. That is a very nice piece of equipment.

lyonadmiral
January 8th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Well my NOS Apple IIe Card arrived! Now I am just waiting for the LC III and the other stuff to show up.

lyonadmiral
January 11th, 2010, 08:08 AM
What is the biggest drive an LC III will support, and do they even make new 50 pin SCSI (if that is the type of interface) drives anymore?

lyonadmiral
January 11th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Well the LC III arrived today, but it was poorly packed and suffered alot of injruries. Alot of broken plastic, etc. Does anyone here they want to sell cheap while I work out an arrangement with the seller?

tezza
January 11th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Well the LC III arrived today, but it was poorly packed and suffered alot of injruries. Alot of broken plastic, etc. Does anyone here they want to sell cheap while I work out an arrangement with the seller?

Sorry to hear that.

Shipping. The bane of vintage computer enthusiasts :mad:

lyonadmiral
January 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
At least there was some good news tonight, I found a complete documentation and system sofware kit for it on eBay with Buy-It-Now.