PDA

View Full Version : Posted a YouTube video on the ThinkPad 755CD

SiliconClassics
January 6th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I made a short video about my IBM ThinkPad 755CD and posted it on YouTube here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIJWfXfGI4o).

It's a Pentium 75MHz so it might not qualify as vintage yet, but it is almost 16 years old by now, and has some interesting features like video capture. I tried to make the video informative and entertaining. I've also started a YouTube channel called "ComputerClassics" where I'll try to post more videos about old hardware and software as time allows.

Opinions are greatly appreciated.

Amigaz
January 6th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Cool video

I happen to own the 755CX which lacks the cdrom drive and video recording stuff but I use an adaptec 1460 SCSI adapter and a scsi cd-rom

Have you got a brand new battery in yours?

SiliconClassics
January 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM
New-ish. I bought a replacement battery a few years ago after I first got the laptop. It's not an IBM original but it's close enough, though by now it doesn't last more than 30 minutes or so. Actually I usually leave it out of the laptop as I've seen some machines in which the batteries leaked and they pretty much destroyed the motherboard - I don't want to take any chances.

The 755CD actually has three internal batteries - the normal Ni-MH main battery, a coincell BIOS backup battery, and a bundled package of three coincells on the left that seems to be for retaining memory contents as the main batteries are swapped in standby mode. But these standby batteries also tend to leak and cause corrosion to the motherboard, so I removed them as well.

fred3rd
January 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Definitely informative and entertaining, I enjoyed it.

Unknown_K
January 6th, 2010, 03:41 PM
The video is nice. I have a 755CD along with a couple dozen other old Thinkpads and it is a nice unit. Being able to import and export video is nice on a machine that old (I have 2 of the video cables and they work on machines up to the 770 line).