PDA

View Full Version : Best System Software for...

lyonadmiral
January 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'd like to thank everyone who commented and responded to my "Best Mac..." post. I have pieces and parts coming. I'd like to know your thoughts on what is the best fitting system software for an LC III. I like the system software that actually said Welcome to Macintosh that had the progress bar, but if that is not the best, that's fine too!

olePigeon
January 7th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I think System 7.1 was the last OS to use that. System 7.5 moved to the big Mac OS logo.

I'd say either 7.1 or 7.6.1.

glitch
January 31st, 2010, 06:13 PM
Actually, 7.5 was the last version to use the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen. Later versions of System 7 opened with the same screen, but then switched to the smiling Mac logo.

What you're wanting to do with the Mac will dictate the best version of the System Software to use with it. If you're going to use an Apple IIe card with it, you'll be limited to 10 MB RAM since you've got to use 24-bit addressing. If that's the case, System 7.1 is definitely the way to go. However, if you're going to use 32-bit addressing, max the RAM out at 36 MB and install System 7.5.5. I'd avoid System 7.6.1 on a 68030, as it's slower, and the only advantage you get from 7.6.1 is printer compatibility.

If you end up going with System 7.1, extract PC Exchange from System 7.5 or later: it'll allow you to read and format PC 1.44 MB floppies as you would any Mac-formatted floppy. PC Exchange was sold as a separate product up to 7.5, but the version included with 7.5 up to (but not including) MacOS 8 will work fine with any version of System 7.

saundby
February 2nd, 2010, 01:38 AM
^^^ Ditto what glitch said. 7.1 with PC Exchange (I bought mine separately just before they rolled it in. Some things never change with Apple. I buy an add-on, next Tuesday it's announced as a standard pack-in.)

Ran this on an LCII, too.

Unknown_K
February 2nd, 2010, 03:22 AM
I use OS 7.1 with Open Transport for DHCP (PDS network card).