PDA

View Full Version : SCSI Ethernet

lyonadmiral
January 9th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I read someplace that since Macs with PDS slots can only have the one slot, if the slot is in use by something other than an ethernet adapter you won't connect it to a TCP/IP compatible network. Question is, is there such a thing as a SCSI Ethernet adapter because I also read that you could use such a thing albeit slower using the external SCSI connector.

Thanks,
Dan

jens
January 10th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Yes, there are SCSI to ethernet bridges from DaynaPort, and iirc from Farallon and maybe others.

lyonadmiral
January 10th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Is eBay the only place you can find one?

Anonymous Freak
January 10th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Is eBay the only place you can find one?

eBay, or here.

Why, it just so happens that I have one of these miracle devices lying around unused... :-P

Mine are all Asanté EN/SC-10T devices. All the 'desktop' version, which require a power brick. And they still have drivers available for download (http://www.asante.com/support/legacy/Bridges/EN_SC.asp). I'm not certain I have a spare power brick, though. I will check. If not, I can give you the specs, I seem to recall they're fairly standard.

olePigeon
January 11th, 2010, 09:09 AM
There is also the Star Router, which is a LocalTalk to Ethernet router supporting MacIP. This would allow you to use your geoport, printer, or modem port for internet access via an AppleTalk adapter. Being a serial port, it's limited to 230 Kb/s.

glitch
January 31st, 2010, 07:04 PM
I've got one of the Asante LocalTalk to Ethernet bridges. While it's slower than PDS Ethernet, it allows me to use my IIe card with my LCII and still connect to my AppleTalk shares on the Linux server. You also get the benefit of being able to add more LocalTalk devices to the bridge.