PDA

View Full Version : Nesting instinct...

Terry Yager
July 11th, 2005, 08:05 PM
What's the deepest level anyone here has ever nested an emulator?
I mean, f'rinstance, what if I were running: linux>dosemu>myz80>cp/m?
Or mebbe: os/2>winos/2>mess>zcn?
Has anyone ever run 5 or more levels of emulation? Successfully?
(I've tried some weird combinations before, but I don't think I ever went more than 3 or 4 levels deep).

--T

mryon
July 13th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Here is something I did a long time ago...

It actualy ended up on slashdot for a while where some claimed it was a fake. Nope, twas real.

It even ended up in Wired (I can't remember if they used the screen shot) but either way I got no credit for it ;)

Later, I did another where I swapped the Apple][ emulator for a mac Plus emulator and then ran a CP/M on that.

I saved a screen shot of that one somewhere..I'll find it if anyone wants ;)

I suppose the BeOS -> MacOS layer is sort of cheating as it really wasn't an emulator technicaly I suppose. Oh well. it was fun ;)

http://www.bedope.com/contests/contest1.html

-mikol

CP/M User
July 14th, 2005, 02:30 PM
"Terry Yager" wrote:

> What's the deepest level anyone here has ever nested an emulator?

Guess it would have to Windows/DOS Window/Amstrad CPC Emulator - depending on the program, some don't like the Windows bit included & tend to run better as Native DOS.

There's a Spectrum emulator for my CPC, so I guess that's a new level - but I've never ran it - my CPC can also perform the Spectrum sized screen - which many games use.

> Has anyone ever run 5 or more levels of emulation? Successfully?
> (I've tried some weird combinations before, but I don't think I ever went
> more than 3 or 4 levels deep).

Not really no, unless you could say I had OS/2 going with a Windows Box & DOS box & OS/2 Command box & the Presentation Manager going at the same time - does that count though?

CP/M User.

Terry Yager
July 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM
You could run the Speccie emulator on the Amstrad emulator, then run CP/M on that...

--T