PDA

View Full Version : MEMORY DISASTER ON AN IBM 2137

JOHN R. COSTA
July 14th, 2005, 07:55 AM
I HAVE AN IBM APTIVA E26 2137 MICROCOMPUTER SYSTEM. I INSERTED A SINGLE MEMORY MASTER-PC 100 BRAND UPGRADE MEMORY BOARD, 3.3v DIMM 32MB 100 MHz SDRAM MEMORY BOARD, LEAVING IN THE ORIGINAL 32 MB MEMORY CARD. I BOOTED UP THE SYSTEM, AND GOT THE SET UP UTILITY SCREEN. IT SHOWED 32MB+32MB. THEN I GOT THE DESKTOP-FOR A MOMENT.
THEN THE SCREEN COLAPSED TO BLACKNESS WITH A WHITE FLASH-IT REMAINS OFF.
THE SYSTEM STILL SEEMS TO BOOT UP-BUT WITHOUT THE BEEP DURING POWER ON SELF TEST. THE SCREEN IS OFF, BUT THE MONITOR INDICATOR LIGHT BLINKS GREEN WHEN THE SYSTEM IS ON. THE MONITOR INDICATOR LIGHT BLINKS ORANGE WHEN THE SYSTEM UNIT IS OFF (THE MONITOR IS STILL OFF THEN TOO)
I REMOVED THE MEMORY MASTER BOARD AND REPLACED IT WITH A MEMORY BOARD MADE BY CRUCIAL TECHNOLOGY. IT'S A 32MB DIMM SDRAM UNBUFFERED 10ns MARKED AS UPGRADE FOR AN IBM APTIVA E26 SYSTEM.
THE SITUATION REMAINED THE SAME.
I FOLLOWED THE QUICK PROBLEM SOLVING CHART: I REMOVED THE CRUCIAL BOARD AND LEFT THE SECOND SLOT EMPTY (ALWAYS LEAVING THE ORIGINAL 32MB MEMORY). I REBOOTED: THE SITUATION REMAINED THE SAME: I COULD NOT REALLY RUN THE PRODUCT RECOVERY CD AS THE MONITOR IS DEAD.
--CAN ANYONE OUT THERE GIVE ME HELP?--

MystikShadows
July 14th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Hi John,

Here's what I believe happened. IF the monitor is flashing it means that somehow, the video card isn't sendign a signal to the monitor (or the monitor isn't getting a signal from the video card. I don't believe that the inserted memory has anything to do with it.

What I do believe is that when you inserted that memory you might have accidentally loosened the video card from it's slot. Turn off the power, Open the system case up and cleck the slots making very sure all cards are nice and snug in their sockets. (just to be sure unscrew the video card and take it off then reinsert it into it's slot or even another slot if you have a spare one). and reboot the system. if it's what I think, this should fix your video problem.

Let me know, I'll be staying in this forum to make sure your problem is fixed :-).