PDA

View Full Version : Z-Letter: Anyone collect them?

Chuck(G)
January 23rd, 2010, 10:48 PM
I just turned up one of Dave McGlone's old Z-Letters under some other documentation. Some interesting topics from this March/April 1993 issue:
A how-to on adding 96 tpi drives to a Kaypro
Script of the month club
A company called Corvatek sells a program called Key-Up that takes a PC keyboard and translate (as various models)s it for use in Ferguson Big Board, Xerox 820, Kaypro, Franklin Ace, ASCII, and Apple II.
Notice about the meetings of the Eagle Computer Users Group
Does anyone have the full set? Just curious.

saundby
January 28th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I've just got a few strays, unfortunately.

Chuck(G)
January 29th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Anyone know what's become of Dave?

VintageComputerman
January 29th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Anyone know what's become of Dave?

http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=WAVS&type=Movies&movie=Cheech_And_Chong&quote=davesnot.txt&file=davesnot.wav

ziloo
March 24th, 2010, 06:12 AM
[...Dave's not here....]

Now Vintageman.....that was funny! How in the world did you know
about that link?

ziloo :mrgreen:

Maniak
March 26th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I just turned up one of Dave McGlone's old Z-Letters under some other documentation. Some interesting topics from this March/April 1993 issue:
[list] A how-to on adding 96 tpi drives to a Kaypro

Wow, I remember that.. Our old Kaypro II, back in the mid 80's (I'd say around 1985 or 1986) was upgraded and had two quad density drives and a single SSDD drive. Flip a switch and it would swap which was drive A.

At the same time we had the computer overclocked. it was up to 4.4mhz and had a switch to slow it down (needed to for games). IIRC, that is when we had the "pro-8" monitor system installed which allowed us to have block graphics similar to what the Kaypro 10 had.

BTW.. back in the mid 80's a box of 10 Quad Density Elephant floppies cost $100...

~Mark

Dr_Acula
March 26th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Re "back in the mid 80's a box of 10 Quad Density Elephant floppies cost $100..."

Yes I remember well as a poor high school student going into a computer shop and wanting to buy just one for $10. It took a lot of smooth talking as they had to break open a box of 10. I think I probably learnt a life-lesson there that has been useful in other ways. I did walk out with one disk and boy did I get good value out of that disk. About 3 months later I went back and bought a second one from the same store.

Re Z-letters, that sounds interesting. And could well be relevant for some of the CP/M work still being done today. But sorry I don't have any information that can help. Back to CP/M coding...

saundby
April 1st, 2010, 10:45 PM
I remember when a couple we knew went out to buy their Kaypro. The salesman suggested they buy a box of floppies and the husband about flipped. "What would we ever do with an entire box of 10?!?"

They bought a pair of diskettes in a bubble pack for $25.

I remember laughing when they told me afterward. I showed them how I bought floppies by pulling out bulk sacks of 100. Their eyes about popped out and they asked if I ever worried about getting robbed for my floppies. I laughed again and sent them home with a plastic 10-box of Dysans with instructions to let me know how long they lasted.* I let them know they could buy in with me on my next bulk buy.

At the time, 10-packs of name-brand diskettes were selling from US$75-120. I was paying about $130 on a bulk order of 100 name-brand with Tyvek sleeves (separate). When I ordered 500 or more, it was about $75 per hundred with the sleeves and they'd throw in the 100-disk storage boxes for free. I was buying my VHS tapes by the case then, too, to get them under $10/tape.

*Their first 12 diskettes lasted about a month. Then they discovered the club software library and dBase II. Then they started buying diskettes in bulk, too. This couple weren't the only people I knew at the time who had the same reaction to the offer of an entire box of diskettes.