PDA

View Full Version : SCSI to IDE

lyonadmiral
January 26th, 2010, 09:21 AM
In my continuing saga to get a nice, fully working, LC III, I'm doing some thinking. The SCSI drives I have now sound more like a Boeing 747 than a hard drive, they are very loud to the point of drowning out the startup chime. I had a thought about perhaps an IDE compact flash card or maybe SSD. Is there even such a thing as SCSI to IDE?

Thanks!
Dan

krebizfan
January 26th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Yes, converters to let IDE drives hook into SCSI chains existed. The only one I worked with was rather flakey. Only some hard drives worked on it and sometimes even working drives would just time out.

The link below is for one example I found in a quick search, not an endorsement. I think it is a different model than the one I used.
http://www.addonics.com/products/io/ide_scsi.asp

Edited to add: I have found one store that is selling similar items. The IDE->SCSI and SATA->SCSI adapters are priced in excess of $100.

jens
January 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM
There are several adapters available that will work fine on a 3.5' hard drive.
Unfortunately people who tried to use 2.5' hard drives stated there occured many problems.

lyonadmiral
January 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Well, how about SSD SCSI devices?

krebizfan
January 26th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Well, how about SSD SCSI devices?

Supposedly there are but at $12,000 for a 16GB SSD with builtin SCSI interface, I am not about to test it out. Other companies may offer their equivalent product for less.

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-20.html

james1095
July 27th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Is nobody out there working on an open source solution? I would think that a modern FPGA or even one of the high end microcontrollers would be up to the task. There seems to be quite a lot of demand for these adapters too, between collectors of vintage computers, people trying to keep ancient mystery machines going at the office where nobody still working there has any clue how it works, and owners of various audio samplers and other gear with embedded SCSI drives. I've seen old posts elsewhere of people who found these adapters for $20-$30, but prices now seem to be well over $100 universally. I would love to have a SCSI to IDE or SSD solution to keep my old Macs and Unix workstations going, even if it's slow, it's better than a dead hard drive and these old drives are starting to drop like flies.

Unknown_K
July 28th, 2010, 03:06 AM
The LCIII doesn't have much room for adapters. I have a 68 pin SCSI HD in one of mine with a 68 to 50 pin adapter that doesn't take up much room (some stick out too much). No idea why your old SCSI HDs sound like a jet. I have a box of new Quantums (2 or 4gb 50 pin native SCSI) that are speedy and not too loud if you need one bad. The built in SCSI on those systems will not take advantage of any speed a newer SSD drive would have anyway even if you could adapt to it.

As far as people needing EIDE to SCSI adapters, you better pick one up soon since they seem to be getting dumped. I have a stack of 5 NIB EIDE to 68 pin SCSI adapters for when the larger EIDE drives get retired (everyone is using SATA now) since native 68pin SCSI drives never got that large. Good for older SCSI systems.

james1095
August 2nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
It's been a while since I've opened the LCIII I have, but isn't there a decent amount of space above the motherboard where the drive plugs in? An inline adapter that could mount either to the drive, or plug into the controller with a cable to the drive would offer enough flexibility to fit into most things. I don't care as much about speed as just keeping these old things running. Here's hoping somebody comes up with a good open SCSI to whatever bridge design eventually.

Unknown_K
August 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
The LC3 motherboard is small, the HD and floppy drive are in front of the motherboard not over it. The pizzabox design means there is not that much room. I could fit a flat 68 to 50 pin adapter in my LC3 but the straight adapters do not have clearence. It seems like most IDE to 50 pin SCSI adapters seem to be built for cdrom drives and are wide. The ones built for HDs seem to be 68pin and either fit underneath the drive (like a sled) or stick out behind it needing clearence.

james1095
August 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM
The LC3 motherboard is small, the HD and floppy drive are in front of the motherboard not over it. The pizzabox design means there is not that much room. I could fit a flat 68 to 50 pin adapter in my LC3 but the straight adapters do not have clearence. It seems like most IDE to 50 pin SCSI adapters seem to be built for cdrom drives and are wide. The ones built for HDs seem to be 68pin and either fit underneath the drive (like a sled) or stick out behind it needing clearence.

My thought was an open design that could be fabricated to fit anything. The commercial adapters could be made to work in a pinch though, just replace the plug header with a socket or use a ribbon cable with a male socket on one end and female plug on the other so the adapter board is floating and can be stuck wherever it will fit. A one piece SCSI to CF adapter would be ideal. CF microdrives are dirt cheap and plenty fast to replace 80s hard drives.

Mike Chambers
August 4th, 2010, 07:40 PM
There are several adapters available that will work fine on a 3.5' hard drive.
Unfortunately people who tried to use 2.5' hard drives stated there occured many problems.

that's strange. with the proper adapter, i can think of no reason a 2.5" IDE drive would not work. they are literally identical interface-wise to 3.5" drives. some are a bit goofy about how the jumpers work, but when set properly it should be electrically and software 100% the same.

do you have any details on the problems?

QuantumII
August 30th, 2010, 05:45 AM
A lot of information on the subject over at 68kmla.org http://68kmla.org/wiki/Flash_Memory It's about SSD - SCSI