PDA

View Full Version : Replacement keys for VIC-20?

Kerosene
January 26th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I know it's a long shot... but does anyone have an online source for single VIC-20 keys?

Do C64 keys fit the VIC? I know they'll probably be the wrong colour, but they'd be better than nothing.

carlsson
January 26th, 2010, 10:37 PM
C64 keyboards not only fit, they are for most part identical. It depends a little which two types of keyboards you are comparing. The VIC-20 had at least three different keyboard styles: PET look, Eurostile and Helvetica (the most common one). The C64 had Helvetica for most of the time, but at least two different types of mechanisms underneath. The C64C of course has white keys, but it has the exact same layout, function and connector pinout as the earlier ones. It means you can use a C64C keyboard in your VIC-20, just like I do! People complain about it not looking authentic but hey, the keyboard works much better than the old worn out VIC keyboard I replaced.

Back to your question: Do you need only the keycap, or the plunger mechanism and spring too? I have a small surplus of keys, but mostly final revision C64C keyboards. I would charge US$2 including worldwide postage and fees for one key, $0.50 per additional key. Send me a PM if you want to discuss this further and specify exactly which keys you need to replace.

cbm
January 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM
C64 keyboards not only fit, they are for most part identical. It depends a little which two types of keyboards you are comparing. The VIC-20 had at least three different keyboard styles: PET look, Eurostile and Helvetica (the most common one). The C64 had Helvetica for most of the time, but at least two different types of mechanisms underneath. The C64C of course has white keys, but it has the exact same layout, function and connector pinout as the earlier ones. It means you can use a C64C keyboard in your VIC-20, just like I do! People complain about it not looking authentic but hey, the keyboard works much better than the old worn out VIC keyboard I replaced.

Back to your question: Do you need only the keycap, or the plunger mechanism and spring too? I have a small surplus of keys, but mostly final revision C64C keyboards. I would charge US$2 including worldwide postage and fees for one key, $0.50 per additional key. Send me a PM if you want to discuss this further and specify exactly which keys you need to replace.

VIC-20 and C64 keyboards are interchangeable but the individual keys are not; the caps are not physically compatible. They look similar, but the C64 keys are recessed more underneath to accommodate the spring mechanism.

phogren
January 27th, 2010, 04:12 PM
PM me I have some VIC-20 that are good for parts.